Help with cycling a tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColemAnthony1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a 25 gallon tank from a friend. It has an Aqueon filter that came with the tank and I also bought an Aqua Clear 50 for it, so it has a lot of filtration. I'm planning on buying some she'll dwelling N. multis and am going to head to Portland the weekend of August 12 to get them. Right now the tank is "cycling".For about 5 days the filters have just been running clean water. I'm not 100% sure how to cycle a tank, but I struck an idea and I'd like to know if it would work so y'all let me know...

Step 1: Twice a week, when I do my already cycled 60 gallon tanks water changes, I keep about three gallons of the "dirty" water and put it into a bucket.
Step 2: I get a filter cartridge from one of my 60 gallons filters and swirl it around in the bucket to get some of the gunk off. (I'm guessing that some beneficial bacteria would come off as well.)
Step 3: I pour into the 25 gallon tank.

Would this be an effective way to cycle a tank? I will soon be able to monitor the water parameters because I just ordered an API Master Test Kit today. Any advice would be amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why not take a good size piece of the dirty old filter media/cartridge and put it in with the new one?
Squeezing some of the older filter gunk into the new filter could work as well.
That should do it and then slowly add fish, even one at the time while you check the water.

I also have a fluval 406 on my 60 gallon. If I swapped the bio balls in the aqua clear on my 25 with some bio balls in the Fluval on my 60, do you think that would work? I could still do the whole dirty bucket water thing too.

Sure it would work. I would concentrate more on the filter which is where the bacteria resides.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. So would the tank be cycled by the 12 when I get the fish?

You'll need a source of ammonia after seeding the filter. I've never done a fishless cycle so I just put a fish in the tank. Ammonia will most likely rise a little for a few days, then just drop.
Sorry I can't give you a specific date.
Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So I got my test kit today and gave it a go and the readings for the 25 that is cycling are
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: about 40ppm

So why would everything but the nitrate be good? Should I be doing water changes to keep it down?

Back
Top Bottom