Help with new 20g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akweerim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20g I started on 8/25/12. I used water conditioner since I have tap water, and I also used a "Start Zyme" to help with bacteria growth since I couldn't get ahold of an established specimen. I did buy 3 guppies and put them in the tank 24 hours after I started the tank. I've done one 50% water change since I've started. The day after I did my first water change, 2 of the guppies died 10 hours apart from eachother. I just bought an ammonia tester, and also a 5 in 1 test kit. Here are my results:

GH - 180+ (the kit's highest number is 180)
KH - 240+ (the kits's highest number is 240)
pH - roughly 6.4-6.7
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 20 ppm
Ammonia - <0.02 ppm
Water temperature - 74-75 F

So my general hardness and carbonate hardness are through the roof, I'm assuming this is a very bad thing but I really have no idea how to fix this problem. Any and all help or advice would be greatly appreciated.:banghead:

It might not be a problem at all. What kind of fish are you hoping to keep? Most of the common species of fish in the hobby can be kept in a variety of water parameters, so long as the parameters are stable.

Also, what kind of test kit are you using? The dip trips for KH and GH are notoriously inaccurate. If you want to get a good idea of what the actual measurement is, I would recommend the titration tests.

I will pick up one of those kits. I just plan on keeping a tropical community tank. Id like to keep either some kissing Gouramis and few other semi agressives, or just a peaceful community with something like tetras, corys, and guppies. Any suggestions on either types of set ups?

I def suggest a liquid test kit, it will make your readings far more accurate.

Have you tested your tap water? It's always a good idea to test it to see where the baseline is. Also I suggest putting some in a container and letting it sit for about 24 hours, giving it a stir every so often. This will let it gas out and will give you your true PH reading for your tank.

You may have shocked your fish during the water change. Did you temp match the water? Perhaps there is a big change between your tap water and your tank water once it gases out and a big water change may cause a spike or drop that shocked them.

As for stocking, I don't think kissing gourami are a good match fort a 20 gallon. IMO the tank is just too small. I would suggest dwarf gourami. They are generally peaceful as well so you could keep a couple in there in a community though it would be iffy with your guppies. If you wanted to keep the guppy you could do some neon or rummy nose tetras(or both), a school of dwarf cories. There are some nice rasboras that may interest you. I have lambchop rasbora and they are like little rockets. By far the most active fish I've owned. lol

I temp tested it with my hand essentially, I made it slightly warmer by about a degree and I put a bunch of Start Right in it before I put it in the tank. But I think you may be right about the water change causing a shock. I have city water so I really have no idea how good or bad it actually is. I thought about just keep some waer jugs and refilling them at lowes, they only charge 25 cents a gallon for refilling a jug there. And thank you for your advice it is EXTREMELY appreciated! Rasboras look beautiful so I will definitely look into them. I also like all the dwarf tropicals so I may just put a nice little community together.

As said above, the 5 in 1 strips aren't very accurate. Get the API master kit. What dechlorinator are you using? Prime is best if you can get it. Your tap water should be fine, just dechlorinate before putting it into the tank. Your temp is a bit low, if you can get it to 77-78 that might be better for the fish. Do you have a heater?

Also the bacteria starters can be hit and miss; most times they don't work. With fish in an uncyled tank you'll have to do daily testing and water changes for a while until the tank cycles. I wouldn't add any more fish until then.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

As said above, the 5 in 1 strips aren't very accurate. Get the API master kit. What dechlorinator are you using? Prime is best if you can get it. Your tap water should be fine, just dechlorinate before putting it into the tank. Your temp is a bit low, if you can get it to 77-78 that might be better for the fish. Do you have a heater?

Also the bacteria starters can be hit and miss; most times they don't work. With fish in an uncyled tank you'll have to do daily testing and water changes for a while until the tank cycles. I wouldn't add any more fish until then.
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

I just purchased a heater yesterday, I've honestly been on the fence about what fish I want to actually keep in the aquarium. I see now it was an awful idea to put fish in the tank right when I started it. I just thought I could trust the chemical companies when it says "add fish immediately". Luckily I'm not out a ton of money since guppies are inexpensive. I plan on just letting the tank cycle for a few more weeks and then I'll pick up one of those master test kits, at my LPS they are about 30 dollars which is a bit of a stretch for me right now.

I'm also using API Water Conditioner right now, and a "Tank Starter" called Stability. It basically wants you to add a capful each day for 7 days when you first start your aquarium, and then once for every water change. That was also inexpensive, about 7 dollars at Petsmart.

I have a new found love for all puffer fish and am planning on keep those once I get all of the information and equipment I will need. I like the F8 puffers or the Green Spotted puffers. If I find that these are a little out of my league I may just go with a community tank of sorts.

Back
Top Bottom