Help with new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all!

My name is Katie. I'm new to the forum and new to having fish. To keep it short, I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 mollies, 3 cobra guppies, 2 skunk catfish cories, 1 african dwarf frog, and 1 gourami. I started my tank about 1-2 weeks ago. I used the filter it came with-tetra whisper. But my uncle came and gave me his external fluval 203 filter. I sit the filter up yesterday. When I first set up the tank I added tetra safe start (I know people are against using it but I am impatient and new so I just did it... The fish seemed fine.) Petsmart is my closest fish store so every water sample I've taken there they've said everything was fine. Yesterday I had to drive about an hour to an aquarium store who had the media and filter items for the fluval 203. While I was there I had my water tested and my ammonia and nitrite are high about 1.0 each. (I bought the master test kit as well and have been testing since yesterday and it is still the same). The worker at the store told me to use seachems stability. So I've been using that since yesterday. So my question is should I continue to use stability with my new fluval filter or should I start all over? Because I am extremely scared about my high ammonia and nitrite levels I know my tank is cycling but as of now I think it would be better to start fresh again then to keep using stability. Please please help !!!!!

I know my question is long but I figure the more information the better right!!!! Please help!!

Thank you!

First things first you need to do a water change asap and get those levels down. Make sure the water you put back in is treated with prime or another water conditioner. All you can do atm is do water changes to keep your ammo and nitrite lvls down under .5ppm You are in a waiting game until your tank cycles and that will take lots of water changes to keep your fish healthy. Make sure to check your nitrates now too since you have nitrites in your water and check your ph it may drop toward the end of the cycle.

Thank you for replying!!! I appreciate it. I will do a water change. Do u recommend doing a 25% (5 gallon) water change ..I have a 20 gallon? And should I just use prime? Or should I add tetra safestart?

Thanks again! I will post updates... Hopefully good updates!

Well you need to get that number down by half so I would say start at around 50%. Wait about 2 hours and test again and see where that gets you.

Also watch how much you feed them fish only eat a few times a week in nature so during cycling to help keep ammonia low u should feed every other day or 1 small meal a day this helps keep from extra ammonia building up from fish waste and food that doesn't get eaten and breaks down in the tank

First of all, you are doing a fish in cycle, I assume you know what that is? The fish you have chosen aren't the best to cycle with, mostly because there are so many of them, and the ammonia will rise so quickly that you will be doing tons of wcs. Do a 50+% water change and see where you are from there. Did any of the filters come with used media? Because your cycle is moving along quickly. Have you tested nitrates yet?

:welcome: to Aquarium Advice!

@fishperson

Yes I am doing a fish in cycle. I do have to admit that I wasn't quite sure/ advised properly on what type of fish to get. I learned yesterday that zebra danio fish are good for cycling and the neon tetras I believe but I didn't want to add anymore to my tank. Everyone in there now seems to be doing pretty good. I just did a 50% water change and its clear. I'm going to wait about 2 hours to test my ammonia, nitrites & nitrates. However I did a test before I did the water change and my ammonia and nitrites were still high about 1.0 and my nitrates were a little over 5.0. Thank you for the advice!! I will post back in about two hours with the new readings. Thanks again much appreciated!!!

@fishperson

Sorry I forgot to add .. No the new fluval I set up didn't come with used media so I had to start new.

Okay so I just finished testing and here are my results after a 50% water change.

Ph-7.0
Ammonia-0.50ppm
Nitrite-0.25ppm
Nitrate-5.0ppm

Any suggestions on my next step?

Thanks !!! :)

Okay so I just finished testing and here are my results after a 50% water change.

Ph-7.0
Ammonia-0.50ppm
Nitrite-0.25ppm
Nitrate-5.0ppm

Any suggestions on my next step?

Thanks !!! :)

Just keep monitoring your levels. Test every day, and do a water change when ammo or nitrite levels exceed .5 ppm.

Back
Top Bottom