Help with stock in my nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Van

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I too need advice please.

I've got a 10 gallon tank lots of plants

A 500 external filter canister dolphin.
Good filtration media

I dose with nt labs 1 pump per day, plant booster and co2 liquid booster.

Led light
Water quality tests etc all good
Temp 24degrees
Good Amazon soil

I run c02 but from a tiny 6g bottle
I guess it fluctuates a bit

We also have huge power outages here. 2hrs at a time almost everyday

I have connected a ups battery only to the filter not the heater just cant. Blew the ups today I have 1 more....

I'm worried im overstocked

1x betta
14xneon tetra

2x Cory's albino
3x ottocinculus
1x ammo shrimp
And maybe 3 x cherry shrimp left maybe

Should I rather have only
10 neons
1x betta
1 x siamese algae eater
And shrimp?

I'm sleepless, been trying to control my brownish algae on the floor

Last night one amanos jumped ship and got stood on.

I've put a mesh over it with clothes pegs tonight.

I really need my mind put to rest on stocking levels.

Both options are overstocked and there's no guarantee that the betta will want tankmates.

Brown algae is part of the natural progression as a tank matures. But an excess of algae is a symptom of other underlying issues. You likey have an imabalance between the amount of plants you have (which consume nutrients) and the amount of fish and the amount they are fed (both of which add to the nutrients in your tank).

I would first scale back on the additional plant fertilizers you add to the tank because anything that your plants don't comsume to actively grow get taken up by the algae to grow.

You might want to consider rehoming some of your fish, as you tank is likely overstocked as well.

Meanwhile, doing large water changes should help with removing some of those excess nutrients. As the tank matures, your brown algae should naturally reduce. But if the underlying problems are not addressed you will likely get other forms of alage that will be happy to take up all the extra nutrients.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom