High nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shealot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there!
I’m cycling my tank with fish in it because I didn’t know about cycling beforehand. Anyway, I just got my master test kit from API on the 16th (have previously been taking my water to the fish store to get it tested) and am testing about 1-2 times a day. Ammonia levels look good, but nitrites have been really high, as of this morning anyway. I’m doing at least 50% water changes 1-2 times a day as well.
Questions:
1. Why are the nitrites staying so high?
2. Is it simply a matter of time and patience for the right bacteria to grow or am I doing something wrong?
3. Can décor (driftwood, rocks, live plants) create more nitrites?
4. Can I do too many water changes?
5. Should I vacuum my gravel with each water change?

FYI, my tank is a 5 gallon. I have a tiny Cory Cat, and two guppies. And I’m borrowing gravel from one of the established tanks at the fish store to seed my tank.

Thanks for reading this and for any suggestions,

Nitrites are high because the nitrite to nitrate bacteria usually takes longer to establish than the ammonia to nitrite bacteria.

Yes its a matter of patience. A cycle typically takes 3 to 8 weeks.

I dont see how driftwood or decorations could cause nitrite. Possibly plants could if they died and was decomposing and adding ammonia which in turn would produce nitrite. If you are worried though, take them out and see if this reduces the nitrite production. What substrate do you have? If you think something in the tank is contributing, your substrate might be the cause. Also have you tested your tapwater? You might be adding ammonia through your water changes, which is converting to nitrite.

You are doing a lot of water changes. You havent said what your parameters are. Your target should be to keep ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm through water changes.

No, you don't need to be doing a gravel vac every time you do a water change.

Ok, thank you. This definitely helps.
My water parameters from the tank as of right now are:
Ammonia - kinda between 0 - .25 ppm
Nitrites - 0.50 ppm (better than this morning though!)
Nitrates - slightly between 0 - 5.0

Ammonia from the tap is at 0.

Also, my two male guppies keep goin at each other. Should I not have two males in one tank? There are no females in the tank.

And the substrate is just a normal, blue rock aquarium substrate. ??*♀️ It’s the same as I had in the tank I had several years ago. I never had any of these problems, rarely tested my water, knew nothing of cycling a tank, and they all did fantastic! ??*♀️[emoji23] Maybe I’m overthinking it. Although it was a 20 gallon and bigger is easier so.... yeah.

Ok, thank you. This definitely helps.
My water parameters from the tank as of right now are:
Ammonia - kinda between 0 - .25 ppm
Nitrites - 0.50 ppm (better than this morning though!)
Nitrates - slightly between 0 - 5.0

Ammonia from the tap is at 0.

Also, my two male guppies keep goin at each other. Should I not have two males in one tank? There are no females in the tank.
Those water parameters arent too bad, and you are starting to see nitrate which shows you are cycling out some of the nitrite.

Bottled bacteria products like seachem stability or dr tims one and only can help speed up your cycle. The best way to speed it up though is to add some filter media from an established tank. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish?

Small tanks seem to be harder to cycle than larger ones. And you are trying to cycle a small tank that is fully stocked which will produce a lot of waste relative to the water volume.

As to your guppies, ive never kept them, but i wouldn't add any more. Your tank is full and it isnt cycled. I would be more concerned with the cory. They like to be in groups, 6 minimum, and your tank isnt big enough for that. It would be better if you could rehome the cory and when you are cycled add another guppy.

I would look at how much you are feeding. While cycling you should only lightly feed. A normal feeding is how much they eat in 2 to 3 minutes. During a fish in cycle half that. So feed every other day, or a light feeding daily.

Back
Top Bottom