HIGH nitrite always? even after water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aawenwashere

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have been testing my 20g water everyday. its always low ammonia, high nitrite, mid-high nitrate. even after a 30-50% water change everyday. i test right before water change and half an hour after water change.
my readings are

ammonia- 0 to 0.25ppm 0.25 most of the time

nitrite- 5.0ppm

nitrate- 80ppm drop to 20-40ppm after water change

nitrite stays high no matter what... whats the problem?

Is the tank new, and are you cycling the tank? (hopefully doing a fishless cycle)
There is a high nitrite period which looms around for a while, when cycling the tank. It takes are while for it to go.
Once it does, your tank will be soon be ready, with another good check for reasurance.
Everyones tank at this stage (and in general) cycles at different time length. You could be waiting days or weeks for it to settle. But when it does, its nearly an instant effect.

I hope that helps.

Is the tank new, and are you cycling the tank? (hopefully doing a fishless cycle)
There is a high nitrite period which looms around for a while, when cycling the tank. It takes are while for it to go.
Once it does, your tank will be soon be ready, with another good check for reasurance.
Everyones tank at this stage (and in general) cycles at different time length. You could be waiting days or weeks for it to settle. But when it does, its nearly an instant effect.

I hope that helps.

its been almost a month for cycling so i guess its new? and thanks ill see if it settles in few weeks

Back
Top Bottom