High Nitrite and Nitrate but zero Ammonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Could someone explain for me why I can have high Nitrites and NitrAtes but zero Ammonia? Every test I've ever done either using strips of the chemical testing kit shows zero ammonia.

What is going on in my tank?

There are two types of beneficial bacteria in an aquarium; those that turn ammonia into nitrIte and others that convert nitrIte into nitrAte. Fish create ammonia, so starting off you'll have higher ammonia levels until a sufficient number of the A>NI bacteria grow. Once these are caught up they will convert the Ammonia and the levels in the tank will slowly return to 0. In so doing they have created a sudden surge in NI levels, and the NI>NA bacteria until this point haven't had sufficient "food" to multiply rapidly. Once the NI levels spike the NI>NA bacteria will establish and begin converting the excess NI, bringing its levels to 0 as well. Each bacterial takes a week or two to get established and convert all it's "food", and the NI>NA bacteria basically have to wait until the A>NI bacteria start doing their thing.

Usually you'll see your ammonia spike around day 10 and the nitrIte spike around a week later. With enough lights and CO2 injection, your plants will basically keep the nitrAte levels in check. However, you'll still need to do regular water changes for other toxins that also gradually build up.

There are two types of beneficial bacteria in an aquarium; those that turn ammonia into nitrIte and others that convert nitrIte into nitrAte. Fish create ammonia, so starting off you'll have higher ammonia levels until a sufficient number of the A>NI bacteria grow. Once these are caught up they will convert the Ammonia and the levels in the tank will slowly return to 0. In so doing they have created a sudden surge in NI levels, and the NI>NA bacteria until this point haven't had sufficient "food" to multiply rapidly. Once the NI levels spike the NI>NA bacteria will establish and begin converting the excess NI, bringing its levels to 0 as well. Each bacterial takes a week or two to get established and convert all it's "food", and the NI>NA bacteria basically have to wait until the A>NI bacteria start doing their thing.

Usually you'll see your ammonia spike around day 10 and the nitrIte spike around a week later. With enough lights and CO2 injection, your plants will basically keep the nitrAte levels in check. However, you'll still need to do regular water changes for other toxins that also gradually build up.

That's really helpful, so it looks like my ammonia has already been converted to Nitrite hence why I've had a massive spike of Nitrite and NitrAte.

Actually, I think that your nitrates are coming from your tap.

Ok so you think I'm just having a Nitrite spike as part of the cycle and the Nitrate is a bit of a red herring? I did read on the water testing kit that the Nitrate reading can be a bit off if a high presence of Nitrite exists.

I agree that at least part if not all your nitrAtes at this point are from your tap. The BB won't be creating that kind of spike until after the nitrIte spike starts going down. As your nitrItes go down the nitrAtes will go up. Since it's NO2 -> NO3 I believe it would basically be 2NO2+O2 -> 2NO3. This means that a drop of 1ppm nitrItes will raise the nitrAtes by 1 ppm.

Now that can be misleading since the NO2 is constantly created and converted, while the NO3 accumulates (or gets used by plants). Think of it this way, if the tank creates and converts 1mL/L (1ppm) of NO2 per day than your NO3 levels will increase at a rete of 1 ppm per day. After 10 days your nitrAtes would go from 0 to 10 ppm.

Reasons for not having ammonia:

Your biofilter efficiently converts ammonia to nitrite so that it is undetectable. or

Amquel or Biosafe, or similar water treatments hide the ammonia from the salicylate (2 bottle green indicator) test for ammonia. Aquarium pharmacueticals claims Ammo-lock does not do this, is that an implication that Amquel or biosafe does? I don't know for certain, never did any testing of the products myself.

Reasons for high nitrites:

your biofilter is not efficiently converting nitrite to nitrate yet. or

Extremely high nitrate levels of 100 ppm interfrere with the nitrite test. I have confirmation from Hach water testing company that this is true. Aquarium pharmacueticals does not identify the ingredients of the test but the material safety data sheet for it looks very similar to the Hach company ingredients, so it appears to be the same or very similar.

Reasons for having nitrates:

bacteria are converting nitrite to nitrate, and/or

it is in your tap water. or

very high nitrites will also add to the detectable nitrate level (5 ppm of nitrite should add 5 ppm to the nitrate test). or

your nitrate test is actually a salwater nitrate test kit, you get crazy high nitrate readings becuase fresh and saltwater are calibrated differently.

Back
Top Bottom