High nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lflores

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everybody!
I stated a Freshwater aquarium like 5 weeks ago.
I did fish-cycling. At the two weeks of having the tank running, I added the first fish. I use the API master kit to test the water ranges. It was very high ammonia, and low nitrites.
When the ammonia went down, I added another fish, (both of my fish are marbled mollies, and recently added a Chinese algae eater) and the nitrites were down, and ammonia down.
All of a sudden nitrites spiked all the way to 5 ppm. The ammonia is still at the lowest level. For a whole week i performed a 25% water change in the tank. Nitrites keep showing 5ppm.
I don't know what to do. The Tank has been running for about 5 to six weeks, I am not completely sure. Today I tested for nitrites and it is still very high.

Tank Specs:

10 gallon
Fluval C3 filter 5 stage filtration (has not been cleaned to preserve beneficial bacteria)
10 pounds of Gravel
Thermostat, set at 80F
Air Bar, Under gravel.
Three plants,
Natural Rocks from Kenucky.
2 Marbled Mollies
1 chinese algae eater

The fish look just fine, any of them has red gills. But i am worried about the nitrites they are suffering aren't they?
Please help!
I appreciate it!

OX

Water change 50% every day until your reading are 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate. Your tank is not cycled yet. If your fish looked stressed change the water a couple of times a day.

Thanks Berylla, Will do.
I am just wondering why they wont go down. They have stayed like that for the past week.
Ill let you know how they go in a week or so.

Hi and welcome! Adding the CAE while the tank was cycling probably wasn't a good idea and caused the spike. Do more frequent water changes (at least 1-2 a day of 50%) until nitrites go down. Also check your tap water just to make sure it doesnt contain nitrites or ammonia, etc. Just FYI, the CAE doesn't really belong in a 10 gal. It can grow very large and usually get very aggressive and destructive as they mature. I would try to rehome it if you can.

Back
Top Bottom