How do I?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Clan the filter on my emporer 280 without losing helpful bacteria? It has only been cycled for about a week but the filter id full and water is running over it...

Are you saying the filter is full of Gunk?
If so, take a clean bucket (Make sure it has not been used for household cleaning or ...) and while doing a pwc, swoosh your filter media in the tank water. This should get rid of the Gunk. Do this every PWC (about once or twice monthly depending on how stocked you are)

Reactions: HN1
Well I just replaced the ez cartridge filter and left the bio-wheel alone hope this was ok...

its best not to replace the cartridge until its falling apart... most of the bacteria is on that cartridge, and simply replacing it will... well you get the picture

Well i still had the old one draining in the sink so I did what you guys said got a bucket of tank water and rubbed it with my hand cause swiching it wasnt doing anything. Even then nothing really came out except brown water and I put it back in and the water wont go through it. The new one it goes through with no problems. There is a small overflow on the filter that goes back into the tank before it goes over the filter and its running out of there. I am sure a lot is still being filtered but not all...

So the water is just flowing over the filter.... I donno what to do.

Some penguins, especially the newer models, are bad for this. Make sure that you have your intake tube adjusted appropriately in it's houseing. If I am not mistaken the inlet tube on that model filter is adjustable for flow.

If all the water is running out the overflow, that is a major prob, but if only some is running out, it's not that big of a deal besides the fact there is media bypass. Your tank will still be filtered, but it will not be as efficient.

Do you have the filter cartridge in correctly? with the blue filter pad facing the back of the filter?

yes it was working fine until it got all brown now its like it will not flow through the filter pad fast enough. I swished it around in tank water and rubbed it an stuff trying to get the main stuff off and I did but it still is doing it...

Back
Top Bottom