How Long - Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SubChick

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is cycling based on what I've been reading. Have a HUGE
nitrite spike going on. My fish seem fine, active, not going to the top
for air, etc.

How long does this nitrite spike last? From what I read it can have
negative long term affects on my fish and I've grown quite attached
to these little guys....

Anything I should do other than wait it out and water changes?

The nitrite portion of the cycle is the longest one, at least it always is for me. Waiting it out is really going to be important, but you will need to do partial water changes to keep the nitrite low for the fish.

You can lower the water level in the tank to create splashing, and you can add salt to the water also to help as well, provided you have fish that can tolerate salt.

Why do I want to create splashing? What splashes, the water return
from the filter? Confused on that one.

Noticed you are from Richmond - me too. What's the best
fish store around here (I'm new to this stuff).

Thanks!

Splashing is going to create a bit more oxygen in the water, and nitrite causes fish to have a harder time getting oxygen out of the water. Salt helps this process as well. Lowering the water level makes the filter return splash, like you say.

Check out Azalea Aquariums on Richmond Henrico Tpk and Noahs Pets on Midlothian. I have also had very good luck with the fish from the PetsMart at Broad St. and Libbie, believe it or not.

Good luck to you, sc. I am having a hell of a nitrite spike myself too. After 1 50% and 2 30% changes over two days brought off the chart nitrite down to .25. Man, I was so glad to see my fish alright after my trip for three days.

Back
Top Bottom