How many fish per gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psteffes023

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering how many fish should be in the tank per gallon?? I commented in another topic to see what everyone thought on initial starting up procedures and if you guys don't like too many threads just let me know. I am still deciding on what size tank I should get but in doing so I would like to know how many fish can feel comfortable in how many gallons, I would like to get some schooling fish w/ a couple of sharks. Any advice would be helpful. So far I love this site and am learning alot, I just want to know what I am getting myself into and do some studying before I just jump into it. I think the filtration and getting the acidity and nitrate levels may be the most difficult. Thanks again

I'd say that you should go no less than a 29g or 30g tank. If you are looking to run sharks you should go 55g. Go as big as you can afford at the time and you won't regret it later on.

I've heard you should base your stock on tank size in gallons=inches of fish @ estimated adult length.

Different things work for different people and tanks though:)

The 1" per gal rule is a generalization, a guideline only, depending on types of fish and habits. Example are goldfish, goldfish should have 20 gals for first goldie and 10 gals each additional goldfish. Most sharks are needing more than 1" per gal IMO.

I can't think of any sharks that would need less than 75 gals off the top of my head.

Another example is cichlids. Depending on the cichlid, they will need well over 1"/gal just for their territories that they make, as do the sharks. The rule is just a guideline for beginners, as stated above, and as you do some research and become more aquarium savy, you will learn how much room the fish that you get will need to be comfortable, as well as maintaining the water parameters so they stay healthy. It's a learning experience, but well worth it when you end up with fish you really like and they are healthy and live a good, long life.

Also, I would like to comment on tank size. As a general rule, you should get the largest tank that is in your spending limit. Believe me, you will be much happier, as it's much easier to maintain a larger tank, as with a larger water volume, the fluctuations in water parameters will be more gradual, and not like a roller coaster that some people have with smaller tanks where the parameters go out of whack real fast, and then have to do large water changes to get it back in safe limits. I personally started with a Walmart 55G, and it was my first tank. Then I had got a 26G Bowfront, and then moved to a 75G. Currently I have 7 tanks in use, and 2 empty. And the larger ones are so much easier to maintain.

Why so many smaller tanks?

My dad and I have our 29g set up, and I have the glass and hood for a 20g, but am not getting the equip for it because I'm waiting for a 55g to popup cheap locally.

I was using them as breeding tanks, but currently am not doing any breeding. also thinking of getting rid of all the 10G tanks, and replace with 20G longs, as they are more appealing, IMO.

Well I really like the look of Bala Sharks and have read that you should get at least 3 of them together. As far as schooling fish I'd say some tiger barbs and giant danios. I would like a semi-aggresive community but have some active little guys in there so to disuade the fin-nipping which I think is just part of not knowing the temperment of different kinds of fish. I would love to get a 55-75 gallon tank but my dilemma is attempting to get something to put in the corner. Any advice?? Also, if I decide on getting another type of shark what would you recommend?? A redtail shark?? Also anyone know anything about chinese algae eaters?? They are my favorite looking fish but at the same time would like to get a community tank and heard they get territorial and aggressive as they get older. Can I keep a Pleco w/ them?? Thanks

I've HEARD that you should keep 5 bala's together in nothing less than a 55g tank. I have 2 small bala's in my 29g that seem to be fine. They seem to school with my two scissortails :)

I also have a pair of redtailed black sharks(not to be confused with rainbow sharks). They are very calm and add nice coloration to the tank.

I'm not sure about the CAE's though.

The balas get big, and they are very active you really need 90 gallons. The tiger barbs will do nicely in a 30 gallon or so. They would do well with a red tail shark. Chinese algae eaters get aggressive as they age and I would imagine that they will battle out with a red tailed shark.

I would think a school 0f 8 - 10 barbs and a rts in a 55 gallon would do nicely, you probably could add your danios to the mix as well.

3 bala sharks is a minimum IMO, in no less than 90gals. As mentioned a school of tiger barbs would be a good addition to a 55 gal.

Even a 90G is small for 3 bala sharks. I had one in my 55G that was 13". It's just way too small for them. For tiger barbs, I would do no less that 8-10 in a 55G. Smaller groups tend to be more nippy to other fish. Large groups tend to keep to themselves. CAE's can be very aggressive, I'd keep away from getting them. They do good with algae when they are small, but as they grow, they stop eating the algae.

Back
Top Bottom