How may Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm currently cycling one of those Eclipse Corner 5 tanks that I plan to stock with a Betta and some Amano Shrimp.

The question is how may shrimp should I place in a 5 gallon tank?

General rule of thumb for shrimp placement is 2 per every gallon, but since you have a betta, planning on having a betta, I suggest having 5 and then the betta.

I don't know where you got that number but you can get away with MANY more than that. People that breed shrimp often keep hundreds of them in a 10g tank. Personally I've kept about 300 RCS in a 10g tank with ease. That's 30 per gallon. In a 5 g tank you could get away with 30 or so easily IMO. Shrimp have a very small impact on the bioload and you can have many more of them than you'd think you'd be able to keep.

Well I know you can keep way more then I said, it's just with other fish, a betta, a smaller number would be better. I got that number from plantgeek btw.

I know you've told me you can keep tons of fish in small aquariums, I just thought since it's a kind of small tank, and he is already going to have a betta in such. You wouldn't want a bunch of 1in shrimp.

I don't know where you got that number but you can get away with MANY more than that. People that breed shrimp often keep hundreds of them in a 10g tank. Personally I've kept about 300 RCS in a 10g tank with ease. That's 30 per gallon. In a 5 g tank you could get away with 30 or so easily IMO. Shrimp have a very small impact on the bioload and you can have many more of them than you'd think you'd be able to keep.

I'm not trying to create a harvest for lunch.:clown: I just want a reasonable amount that will look good is such a small tank. Having 150 shrimp in a 5 gallon HEAVILY planted tank is going to look like crap.

A gallon of water is defined as 231 cubic inches. Since the Eclipse holds about 5 gallons and is about 14 inches high, that means it has a floor space of about 82 square inches (actually, it's going to be less than 80 square inches because the tank has a larger cross section at the top than it does at the bottom). Given that these critters grow to about 2", that means they need 4 square inches just to turn around. So a grand total of 20 would create the effect of wall-to-wall shrimp carpet.

So from an athstetics stand point, I don't think anything more than about 3 ( maybe 5 max) is going to look pleasing... unless you're trying to grow lunch.
:BIG:

Thanks for the suggestions.

When I get my 5 shrimp, I'll likely just put 3 in the 5 gallon and the other two add to the ghost shrimp sharing a 10 gallon with a pair of gold fish (common and a rosie) at home. So far, the gold fish has been small enough and the shrimp big enough that he hasn't attempted to snack on them. But then again, he's growing fast.

Yeah I would deff. watch out for those goldfish, they would love a little shrimp snack :p

Yea, I knew it was a risk when I put them in there. But right now, the golde's mouth is smaller than the shrimp, so he leaves them alone ( plus I got a couple of the larger one at the LFS, so they were a bit on the bigger size to begin with).

Of course the Goldfish is growing QUICK. We only got him around Thanksgiving, and at that time, he had a lot of ammonia burns on his fins and along his forehead. He just grew out of the last of those burns this week.

Amanos like to eat algae and therefore more often than not you'll see them on plants, if you see them at all, which is one reason I suggest at least 10-12...because you won't see all of them all of the time. Having more of them gives you more opportunity to enjoy them, especially in a heavily planted tank.

Back
Top Bottom