How to sink driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a piece of driftwood that has slate on one side but not the other. The slated side sinks but the other side floats! I've had in my tank for 4 days now and it hasn't sunk.

Will it eventually sink?

If not, where do I get some slate to attach to the floating side?

And how do I attach the slate?
Below is a photo of the driftwood in my tank.

image-4238906621.jpg

Usually boiling it (if it will fit in a pot) will help get extra air and tannins out. If that doesn't fix it, it should eventually sink as it becomes waterlogged. If the slate is holding it underwater, eventually it should sink. The type of wood it is can be a factor too. If you need to get more slate, most home improvement stores have it. Usually you can buy them in square tiles, and you can break it into different shapes as needed. You can attach it using waterproof silicone that doesn't say "mold and mildew resistant". GE Silicone II, for example, contains chemicals that prevent mold and mildew, but they will also harm aquarium inhabitants. This is why it is important to get silicone that doesn't have this.

Usually boiling it (if it will fit in a pot) will help get extra air and tannins out. If that doesn't fix it, it should eventually sink as it becomes waterlogged. If the slate is holding it underwater, eventually it should sink. The type of wood it is can be a factor too. If you need to get more slate, most home improvement stores have it. Usually you can buy them in square tiles, and you can break it into different shapes as needed. You can attach it using waterproof silicone that doesn't say "mold and mildew resistant". GE Silicone II, for example, contains chemicals that prevent mold and mildew, but they will also harm aquarium inhabitants. This is why it is important to get silicone that doesn't have this.

Thanks. I've heard that gorilla glue works for aquarium. Do you know if this is true?

Not the regular gorilla glue, but the gorilla super glue is what I heard works.

What's the longest any of you's had to wait for driftwood to sink?

I've had a piece soaking for about 4 weeks in a bucket. Still floats, still turning clear water into tea colored water.

I've had a piece soaking for about 4 weeks in a bucket. Still floats, still turning clear water into tea colored water.

Wow!!! Should I not be soaking it in my tank? It's only been a week. My waters almost clear, so it doesn't seem to effecting it at all. I think the cloudiness I have is bc I didn't clean the sand enough.

No, you're okay. Looks like yours is a new set-up. I wanted to add mine to a semi-established tank and didn't want to deal with to tinted water. Plus, mine has a thick "trunk" and yours is pretty slender.

This is mine:

Attachments

• image-3467480814.jpg
    image-3467480814.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 67
No, you're okay. Looks like yours is a new set-up. I wanted to add mine to a semi-established tank and didn't want to deal with to tinted water. Plus, mine has a thick "trunk" and yours is pretty slender.

This is mine:

Yea I see what your saying.

Oh and yea my tank is a new set up. I've had it running for about a week. I get my test kit soon in the mail and will start my fish less cycle. Just trying to get everything going right now!

Is this your 1st tank?

No, I have a ten gallon also. But I did not cycle that tank correctly. Luckily my fish lived and everything is good. My new tank is a 30 gallon and I will make sure I get this one right!!!

Just an opinion... It's okay to do a fish-in cycle. If you do, dose your tank with some Fritz-Zyme 7. Wait a couple of days and watch your numbers. Slowly add your fish and keep an eye on your numbers.

IMO, there isn't really such a thing as a true fish less cycle. No matter what you do before adding fish, your still adding fish. Which mean your ammonia will still go up, your nitrites will still go up, and they'll both come back down. A fish less cycle has a lot of room for error and you could be weeks or months from actually putting anything in your tank... Especially if there's an error.

Prolly not a popular opinion, but I'm convinced its true :)

Just an opinion... It's okay to do a fish-in cycle. If you do, dose your tank with some Fritz-Zyme 7. Wait a couple of days and watch your numbers. Slowly add your fish and keep an eye on your numbers.

IMO, there isn't really such a thing as a true fish less cycle. No matter what you do before adding fish, your still adding fish. Which mean your ammonia will still go up, your nitrites will still go up, and they'll both come back down. A fish less cycle has a lot of room for error and you could be weeks or months from actually putting anything in your tank... Especially if there's an error.

Prolly not a popular opinion, but I'm convinced its true :)

Where can I get Fritz-Zyme 7?

I do have something similar that I bought from Wal-Mart called start-zyme. It's jungle brand.

Your local fish store should have it or a comparable API product. I don't remember what it's called. If they have the Fritz-Zyme, I highly recommend it. Basically, all it is is bacteria that will start your nitrogen cycle for you.

I started a thread on it! Hopefully I get some good answers. I looked up that fritz zyme and it sounds really good! I'm just wondering if I can use it after I've already dosed my tank with this start zyme?

Back
Top Bottom