I need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davy_Jones

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im starting a 30gallon tank and need suggestions. I wanted to know what are some cool decorations I could get?
THANKS-

Welcome to AA! What kind of fish are you planning on stocking with? Sometimes the choice in decorating the tank is influenced by the tank inhabitants.

Also check out this article on fishless cycle, the most humane way to get your tank ready for fish.

Um, tetra's and cory cats. I dont know what type of tetras though.

You could go with a planted tank if you wanted. Driftwood is nice. I prefer natural looking decorations, pool filter sand etc. I do have a castle in one of my tanks. Could go with a castle and ruins theme if you were into that kind of stuff. The possibilities are endless.

I like the natural look to, but alot of people are into it and I kinda like to stand out. Im thinking of going with a shipwreck I have made of plastic and getting some other stuff with it, but I dont know what I want to go with it.

If you are going to go with a shipwreck, you could have rocks and driftwood to go along with it, like a sunken ship would have around it in the ocean. Silk plants and artificial corals would work too.

hhm, I may do that. Also, Im thinking of getting aerating ornaments. What about them?

Hey, there's a lot of spongebob squarepants stuff out there...perhaps you could put together your own little Bikini Bottom?

Also, again, if you haven't already, read the article on the fishless cycle, and invest in a good test kit. Good luck!

Davy_Jones said:
Um, tetra's and cory cats. I dont know what type of tetras though.

Sounds like its going to be nice. There are soooo many different types of tetras, i would go with smaller ones, a school of 6-8. The skirt tetras are a nice beginner fish, both white and back skirt. Some tetras are hardier than others though, so tell us what you want. Here is a link with a selection of just some of the types of tetras: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=890

For cories, you should get 4-6 (i like panda cories and peppered cories)

Also, I need a gravel color and Having a hard time choosing eany suggestions. Im looking for something nice and colorful but not ugly.

I have Cory Cats and I went with sand. I picked up pool filter sand at a pool supply store. Make sure you get just that as there are a lot of chemical replacements for the sand. It's got a nice natural look and in a fluorescent lighting it looks more white.

For stones I picked up some at Home Depot. They're called Mexican Beach Stones I believe. They're dark gray, round, and smooth. It gave it a real natural look combined with the sand.

theotheragentm said:
I have Cory Cats and I went with sand. I picked up pool filter sand at a pool supply store. Make sure you get just that as there are a lot of chemical replacements for the sand. It's got a nice natural look and in a fluorescent lighting it looks more white.

For stones I picked up some at Home Depot. They're called Mexican Beach Stones I believe. They're dark gray, round, and smooth. It gave it a real natural look combined with the sand.
Nah, sand and ornaments dont mix.
I need a good gravel color.

I just did a half of a ship on my tank. And the aeration come from the center of the ship it's pretty cool. Did you think about adding live plants yet. I just have a 20 gal but I put 4 live plants in and they look great and they are also really great for helping control nitrates.
I used bio-spira when I set up my tank and my parameters have stayed stable with the danias I added. For freshwater I'm a big bio-spira fan now.

They're called Mexican Beach Stones

I love these stones. I found them after my tank was set up... The next tank will have them for sure.

Davy, it sounds like your taste might lead you toward a fluorescent mixed gravel. There are some bright colorful choices out there if that's your thing.

I've seen a couple of tanks with black and blue stones. It looked surprisingly good.

Fabric Sail Ship

I put this (see link below) in my 42 gallon tall hexagon tank. It gets oohs and ahhs from family and friends. I would pick one that fits the size of your tank and hook up an airhose to it for the bubbles. Mine came with an airstone in the hull.

Have fun! One thing I have found is that rearranging and designing new aquascapes is a great part of the hobby. I probably move things around too much...

Link:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ish Whaler&ref=3665&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x007

Attachments

• angel1_495.jpg
    angel1_495.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 261
  • schooner1_313.jpg
    schooner1_313.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 260
  • gbr1_274.jpg
    gbr1_274.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 14
  • bubbles_408.jpg
    bubbles_408.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 259
Thanks, one will fit but I allready have a ship.
I found this clam thing, how does it look to you?
8d_1_b.JPG

Will have to see it in the tank...I put another smaller ship in my 55 gallon tank that did not look great in the box, but looks great in the tank. I was hesitant to put it in, but it was a gift, turned out great. I added pics to my earlier post...

Back
Top Bottom