I'm i seeing nitrates to soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nlapana

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 55gal tank has been cycling with fish for around 2 weeks(6platies). Just about every other day the ammonia level would between .25 and .5 with the test strip(i ordered the api master kit today). So I am doing 20% water changes.

I couple of days ago the nitrites were around .5 to 1.0 (still doing pwc)and the ammonia has been pretty much zero. Today ammonia is around .25 and .5 and the Nitrates are around 20 and the nitrites are about zero

I'm going to do 20% pwc tonight. I bought live plants 5 days ago. Is that contributing to the nitrate level? I'm I still on the right track?

I know now after joining this forum i should have done a fishless cycle, but like many other newbies bad advice from lfs and impatience i bought my fish to soon.

Thanks Nick

Plants will use nitrates up, not contribute to them being present. Did you add some kind of plant fertilizer to the tank? That could be a source of nitrates. If not, it looks like your cycle is progressing and might be close to finishing. Keep the nitrite and ammonia below 0.25 with PWCs. Nitrates are fine anywhere up to about 40. 20 or less is ideal.

OK. thanks. I'll keep doing what i'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom