Is there such a thing as using too much Seachem Prime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erikmoseley

Aquarium Advice Addict
during a Fish in Cycle? Just getting back into teh hobby - Have 3 tetras in a 72 for 6 days and have put in full dose for that size day 1 and half day 2-4 and so far all the conditions are fine - was wondering if i shoudl continue to use to make sure ammonia and nitites stay down toward zero. Thanks

Fish In Cycle

during a Fish in Cycle? Just getting back into teh hobby - Have 3 tetras in a 72 for 6 days and have put in full dose for that size day 1 and half day 2-4 and so far all the conditions are fine - was wondering if i shoudl continue to use to make sure ammonia and nitites stay down toward zero. Thanks

Hello erik...

You should test the water daily and if a test confirms a trace of either ammonia or nitrites, then you should remove and replace a minimum of 25 percent of the tank water. The water change will get the water chemistry back into the "safe zone" for your fish.

You can't put in too much water treatment. But the "Seachem" products are expensive, so just dose according to the instructions.

B

You actually could overdose but it would take a lot. Prime in itelf won't keep ammonia or nitrite from rising; if they do, it can help detoxify it temporarily to keep the fish safe but it only detoxifies to a certain point so if ammonia or nitrite are really high it won't do much to protect the fish anyway. Water changes are the best solution when ammonia or nitrite start to rise (add Prime to new water of course, to dechlorinate it and make it safe for fish). In case you haven't seen it, this article might help: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Also, if you have three tetras in a 72 gal (not sue if you mean gals or liters), that probably won't be enough to start the cycle given the large volume of water (or at least it would take quite a bit of time). If it's liters then that's better; ammonia might take a little while to show up but it should eventually.

Back
Top Bottom