Just got the API Master Kit and tested...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berserkr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 15gal with a small hifin pleco, a red tail shark, and a small black angel fish. Not the best combo I'm sure but they're growing on eachother! I just got the API Master Test kit. My PH was 7.8, Ammonia .25ppm, Nitrates 80ppm, and Nitrites .25ppm. How horrible is this and how can I improve this. For any of you concerned, I'll be bumping up to a 30gal within a couple weeks.

Also, any tips on making the pwc's less stressfull for these guys? The python works great, but freaked them out, especially my little pleco and he's my favorite!

Hello and welcome to AA

In a word WOW. That is some combination of fish.

It has been said that the tests we use are not really accurate down on the lower end of the scale. That may be true but the fact that you are seeing any ammonia and nitrite is not really a good thing, although you are below the .5 point that is so often stated as the critical point. My first question is how long has this tank been running? It sounds like it may be a relatively new tank?

If that is the case I would say that you are seeing the tail end of your cycle. The 80ppm Nitrates is a bit high. A large water change of 50% or so would help get you down to something below the 40ppm range.

I would suggest that you take a look at the article section of this site and read up on the nitrogen cycle to better understand how this all works.

The PWC brings up a question. Are you using any kind of de-chlorinator when filling the tank back up? This could account for some of the readings that you are getting. If you are not, the chlorine in the water might be killing off some of your bacteria and causing your ammonia and nitrite levels to increase. The chlorine may also account for your fish objecting to the water changes. Prime is a favorite product on this site for dechlorinating your tap water but there are others too.

I think that the python is just about the best way to go. Just make sure that you are matching the water temperature as close as you can to the tank temperature when re-filling. When you fill, go slow. There is no hurry and it will be less stressful to your fish.

That is a pretty good load on a 15gl tank. Plecos are big poopers. I agree we need to know if this is a new tank or established. there shouldnt be any ammonia or nitrIte. the NitrAte at 80 is to high.

You should strive for

Ammonia - 0
NitrIte - 0
NitrAte - 20 or lower

NitrAte is normal and you should always have "some" as it is the end product of the cycle. If you have 0 you need to scratch your head and wonder why it is zero. It is not as toxic as nitrIte but can be in higher readings such as what you are pushing.

I would do a PWC and get that nitrAte down (50%) as sparky suggested. I know some people think 50% is to much but many of us do 50% PWC every week on our tanks.

You will find the 30gl is easier to care for as well compared to a 15gl. The bigger the tank the slower the water changes. Meaning you will see spikes in smaller amounts of water (smaller tanks) compared to larger tanks with more water for it to build and takes longer.

As for stress in PWC, make sure the water is the same temp, add a good dechlor product (we love Prime on here) and do not put the water in to fast. If the fish are stressed slow down the rate the water fills the tank. My Betta I have to run it slower because he dislikes the rush of water coming in. My 55gl tank I can go all out they all dont care in there.

Welcome to AA. As mentioned already you are not cycled. Doing pwcs will be necessary to keep ammonia and nitrite to 0ppm, aim for nitrates of 20 or less. Once the tank is cycled 50% a week will be a minumum for that tank. You will quickly run out of room with your current tankmates. A 30 gal will be better. Once you get your 30 gal you should do a fishless cycle on it before transferring the fish. Are you planning on getting a new filter for the 30 gal? If so get the filter as soon as you can and run it on the 15 gal for a couple of weeks before the transfer, this will help you have little cycle when it comes time to transfer.

I did a PWC, about 50% at least. I added some conditioning salt, and will go grab some of the dechlorinator today, as I forgot when I was at the store yesterday. After I add it to the tank, I'll test again tomorrow and see how the numbers are. The tanks is about a month and a half old. Before I got these three fish in the tank, I had two Columbian Sharks in there. They were in for 2.5 to 3 weeks, then we had a major storm and power outage for roughly a week or so and they did not make it sadly. I would think now though, that it should be on the tail end of the cycle at least. So far the fish have had no problem and been quite happy, though the shark pics on the angel every now and then.

Also I think there might have been some extra food build up since I got some mini cichlid pellets and my angel doesn't quite know what to do with them, they may still be a bit big though they're the smallest size, so there were alot left un-eaten. We'll stick to bloodworms for now.

As for the fish themselves, though they didn't like the python, they got over it pretty quick, even my hifin pleco who likes to pout. He just went and started cleaning like mad, like my girlfriend does when she's angry...lol. I also added a bubble stone to help with oxygen distribution rather than just have the tube in there. The shark especially likes to play in the smaller bubbles and that helped with reducing stress.

Back
Top Bottom