Just Let the Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlelouie

Aquarium Advice Freak
8O Am I going overboard with my 20% w/c every 2nd day or when the ammonia gets over 0.1ppm?

I have read that a tank of 25deg Cel temp and pH of 7 can be allowed to have ammonia levels rise to 3.6ppm!

My tank is running at this temp and pH and I have 5 cardinal tetras and a clown loach in a 6 gal tank.

I am happy to continue th 20% water changes but i would like to know if I should relax a little and let the cycle work.

Please advise.

Louise :oops:

Yes, you will be forever cycling if you keep up that frequent water changes. You need to allow the ammonia to spike and all. Look through the articles in this forum and you can get some other people's experiences with cycling. Start cutting back to no more than once every week. WOW, I just noticed that you said a 6 gallon tank. That's a lot of fish and bioload for a 6 gallon tank, especially while cycling.

Thanks Bearfan
Yeh I know my tank is a little on the loaded side! (long LFS story) :oops:

Pls advise how high the spike gets. I haven't really had this one answered and understand that it is diff for each tank but with the details in my post above does 3.6ppm ammonia seem acceptable or too high?

In a previuos post I reached above 4.00ppm and was advised to do 20%w/c every 2nd day but now I think this may have been a little extreme.

Thanks for your input :wink:
Louise

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom