Lights on or off during cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldensunflowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've read a few conflicting things about aquarium lights during the process of fishless cycling.

One thing said to leave them on 24/7 as it helps speed up the process.

Another thing said to leave them off, even go so far as the cover the tank with black plastic to prevent any light from getting in, as it would cause an algae bloom.

What are your guys' thoughts? The tank is in a pretty well-light room through natural light most of the day, so don't even really need the light on to see in the tank. I also have a couple real plants in there to help with the cycling. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. You guys are very helpful here I've found out already!!

I've been told to run the lights for no longer than your plants need in the cycling tank(no more than 8 hours). Any more and you increase the chance for algae.

I've heard the same. Too much light will increase your algae growth, which will compete with your beneficial bacteria's food source.

Agreed with the posts above, and since you have plants you have to be running lights

So do I have to run the lights, or would the natural lighting in my living room be enough for the plants?

This is a good question. I was wondering about it, too. I am doing silk plants and waiting a while before gets my moss balls. I guess I could just let the indirect light in my LR be enough.

goldensunflowers said:
Just a couple little amazon swords.

Those amazon swords get pretty big. But you should be fine with natural sunlight, my tank lights are useless for all my demanding light plants but sunlight keeps them alive :)

I've also done many 3-4 day black outs to knock down algae and have never found a problem with an ammo spike afterwards, so lack of light doesn't seem to hurt the beneficial bacteria.

Sparky74 said:
I've also done many 3-4 day black outs to knock down algae and have never found a problem with an ammo spike afterwards, so lack of light doesn't seem to hurt the beneficial bacteria.

Good to know. I may need that. Thanks!

I'd light it enough to keep the plants happy, don't worry about the algae unless it becomes an issue. As far as the algae competing for nutrients with the bacteria, it's really a nonissue unless you are extremely heavily planted, and even then you can just compensate based on test results.

I've read that bacteria do better in the dark, but I don't think it matters that much, you might as well have the lighting schedule that you plan to have later on when you stock, so you can get an idea of how the plant/algae thing is going to go.

I would recommend doing 4/4/4 light schedule. It gives enough for your plants, but no enough for algae.

Back
Top Bottom