Look at this photo... is this 2 or 4 ppm of ammonia?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you interpret this test?

• 2.0 ppm Ammonia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4.0 ppm Ammonia

• Something in-between

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I can't tell either!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am doing a fishless cycle. Well, trying to anyway.

I have a 50 gallon tank. About 20 minutes ago I added one teaspoon of Ace ammonia. (Man, this stuff is potent!)

Look at the photo. Is this 2.0 ppm or 4.0 ppm? I honestly can't tell and I looked at it under different lights.

To me I'm leaning towards something in-between.

Should I add more ammonia or stop right here? The instructions say, "With the ammonia purchased, and your test kit handy, dose the tank to ~5ppm ammonia. If you add too much, do a Partial water change to reduce the level, if you add too little, dose more. It doesn't need to be exact, but just aim for 3-5ppm."

What do you think?

(And did I buy the wrong test kit? Is this one not sensitive enough? It's the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.)

Attachments

• ammonia.jpg
    ammonia.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 1,087
Last edited:
Looks about 3 to me too. The API test is supposed to be one of the best but I sure wish they'd make the colors more differentiated between levels, they can be very hard to read!

I'm colour blind and it's really hard for me. I wish there was something that displayed the results on a scale or some such. I've got a problem paying hundreds of dollars for the digital types. ;)

I'm colour blind and it's really hard for me. I wish there was something that displayed the results on a scale or some such. I've got a problem paying hundreds of dollars for the digital types. ;)

Actually it would be really nice if a voice could just tell you what the results are. "You have..[calculating]...3 PPM of ammonia." :lol:

The photo isn't showing, but if it's showing between 2-4 imo it's good, it's not an exact science by any means.

This is the key here... it doesn't matter if it is 2 or 4... so long as it is somewhere in that range.

Conversely, once you add fish, it doesn't matter what it's really reading, if it is above 0. Anything over 0 is too much, and means a tank does not have a properly established biofilter. So, it's either 0 (good), or {something} (bad). No sense getting wrapped around the axle about exact readings, I guess, is my point.

Back
Top Bottom