Methods for Softening Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am looking into some options for softening the water in some smaller tanks - 20-35 gal. Since I live in Alberta, our ph is quite high 7.8. I have been keeping various apistos and german rams for the last year and a half but have not been able to keep them alive much more than 8-12 months. I would like to try putting them in softer water since that is what they prefer. I tried putting garden peat moss in a filter bag in my Aquaclear and all it did was make a mess of the tank. What options are available for softening the water. Is RO equipment even feasible for smaller tanks?? Would like to read some good articles on this issue if anyone knows of any good links.

I used to do 50/50 RO/tap for water changes on a 20 and a 10. Then my tap water took a turn for the worse and at least three fish would die at every pwc so I started going 100% RO and added RO right, baking soda for KH and some aquarium salt.

Back
Top Bottom