Multiple algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheRingOfFire

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Just did a water change on a cycling tank (nitrates were through the roof...was that justified?), and took some pics of some algae so I could get some assistance from you guys.

This morning, it was even pearling! Note that the bubbles in the photos are due to a water change obviously.

My question, what is this stuff? It's quite unsightly on the white sand but honestly, I quite like it on the rocks. There's long stringy stuff, patchy brown stuff and everything in between! I will soon be throwing some shrimp in (Darwin algae eaters) to help the oto's out.

Should I crank the co2 up more? Lower the light? It's on for 1130 per day ATM, as is the co2.

Thanks!

Jayna

Attachments

• image-2838550318.jpg
    image-2838550318.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 71
  • image-2542275843.jpg
    image-2542275843.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 65
  • image-2483742731.jpg
    image-2483742731.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1073898012.jpg
    image-1073898012.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 59
You need to run your lights a max of 6 hours daily or even lower with this algae. What type of lighting and bulbs are you using? What type of plants and how many are in the tank? Are you using ferts? More information is needed to give advice other than greatly lowering your photoperiod.

You need to run your lights a max of 6 hours daily or even lower with this algae. What type of lighting and bulbs are you using? What type of plants and how many are in the tank? Are you using ferts? More information is needed to give advice other than greatly lowering your photoperiod.

Thanks for the reply; I have 3xT8's and 2xT5 grolux- comes in at a little over 2wpg. New HC in the process of carpeting, frogbit, some DHG and anubias. In essence, not a whole lot. I am dosing flourish once weekly, potassium, stability. Keeping the co2 in the green. Spoke to my LFS yesterday and have some shrimp, more oto's and flying fox on order to keep it down. The water is crystal clear and it's not on the glass which is nice! But as you can see, it looks pretty average when on white sand.

Besides keeping your light photoperiod down you really need to get a few fast growing plants in the tank along with using dry ferts since your running CO2.

Thanks Rivercats. I have been putting off getting anything too big that will shade the HC as yet as my goal is to initially get it carpeted. I appreciate your input on this and will perhaps have something like that planted temporarily.

Regards,
Jayna

From the picture it appears you have a lot of open substrate where there is no HC, correct? If so you can add some plants in these open spaces and keep them trimmed so as not to shade the HC.

Back
Top Bottom