My filter is running slower on one side.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was doing a fish in cycle because I was given a 55g by a coworker fish and all. Through the help of all you wonderful people I got the numbers right on the money for at least two wks now.. I think my filter needs attention it's running slower on one side. So should I put new cartridge in it? Should I also do a water change? I don't know what kind of filter it is.

When you do a water change, rinse your media in the tank water. I'd also wipe out the housing with a dry paper towel. Don't trash it and don't rinse in tap water.

Should I do a 50% change or all. When will I vacuum the tank. Should I just concentrate on the filter?

It never hurts to do a water change and gravel vac is the way I see it. But I'd stick with 50%. Then hold some of your tank water in a bucket and don't let your media go dry in the process. Give it a few squeezes and rinses, and if your bucket of water turns a funky black, you probably solved your problem! I'd still clean the housing though,

Ok I will try this. Hopefully without swallowing fish water?

Are you using a siphon? Starting by mouth? If so, I just learned that if you fully submerged your siphon and get all the air out, plug the end with a thumb while you lower into your bucket, while keeping your vacuum underwater, and it'll start up. Don't do it by mouth!

I did the 50% change, vacumed the gravel some and rinsed the filter pads in the fish water. I cleaned the filter and it works great. Best of all the test results are great.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
ph 7.6

I couldn't believe it. Thank you so much. I did get the siphon pump.

elee said:
I did the 50% change, vacumed the gravel some and rinsed the filter pads in the fish water. I cleaned the filter and it works great. Best of all the test results are great.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
ph 7.6

I couldn't believe it. Thank you so much. I did get the siphon pump.

Awesome! Good Results are always an ego boost!

Back
Top Bottom