My first aquarium in years..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meg227

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, recently I've been thinking about getting fish again. I bought a 20 gal tank but I'm not quite sure what kinds of fish or plants I should get.

Animals
Bee Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp
Guppies
maybe a betta?

Plants
plastic! LOL
I would much rather have live plants, but I don't want to have to deal with a snail overpopulation like last time.

Substrate
I would love to get sand in my aquarium, do I need a sponge filter? And how would I go about cleaning it?

Any suggestions would be beneficial. I want to get mainly blue-ish or green-ish fish to match the room its going in haha

Hello, recently I've been thinking about getting fish again. I bought a 20 gal tank but I'm not quite sure what kinds of fish or plants I should get.

Animals
Bee Shrimp
Ghost Shrimp
Guppies
maybe a betta?

Plants
plastic! LOL
I would much rather have live plants, but I don't want to have to deal with a snail overpopulation like last time.

Substrate
I would love to get sand in my aquarium, do I need a sponge filter? And how would I go about cleaning it?

Any suggestions would be beneficial. I want to get mainly blue-ish or green-ish fish to match the room its going in haha

Welcome to AA!!

The first thing you'll want to do is cycle your tank before you get fish. Here's a link to a great guide that will help you: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

You could do sand for substrate, pool filter sand or play sand would work and be cheaper, just rinse rinse rinse it before it goes into the tank. I don't think you need a sponge filter, per se, but you'll need filtration and more is usually better than less. Do you have a filter now and if so which one? I have a 20 gal running an AquaClear 20 HOB and an internal Fluval U2. If you got a large AquaClear that might be sufficient and they are really good filters.

Good luck and feel free to ask any other questions that come up along the way!

It came with a Top Fin 30 filter. Will that work?

Make sure to check out the link librarygirl showed you! :)

As for guppies and bettas I would not try it, they are too similar looking and it is possible the betta will mistake them for other rival males and attack them.

Back
Top Bottom