My fish are chasing one another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afurlow96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just stocked my cycled tank with 5 black skirt tetra and I'm sure it is nothing to worry about but i may as well ask - they swim in a loose school most of the time (although i have only had them a day) but every now and then one will break off and swim somewhere else, when he does that one or two of the tetras will dart over and stick to him like glue. They will start to swim a bit faster and up towards the top of the tank, then back down, and around, and all over really while the other couple of tetra follow very close behind. I watched them for about 5 minutes to make sure they weren't biting each others fins and it didn't seem like they were, they were pretty much side-by-side.

This may just be a dumb question but i don't have any experience with schooling fish, previously i just had a single fish at a time.

I have 6 black skirts and 6 white skirts . They don't seem to school either and I've had them for years .. But they do stay in close proximity to one another .. Strange little fish. My harlequins stick together and so do the black neon tetras . Maybe just a skirt thing :)

Your Fish

Hello furl...

Schooling fish don't school all the time. If they feel threatened, they'll stay together for protection. If they don't feel threatened they'll swim individually. Get some plants into the tank like Hornwort. Fish in general are more relaxed if they have hiding places and you provide it with a lot of floating plants.

B

Back
Top Bottom