My testing riddle.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, basically I'm kinda confused as to what is going on in my tank.

Ive had fish in the tank for roughly 2 weeks and I have been testing with a API Master Kit, however I havent read and significant levels of ammo and no trItes or trAtes.

The current stock is 4 neon tetra and 3 glow light tetra, non planted 63l or 17 gal tank.

Any ideas?!

Did you start with seeded media from an established tank? Are you doing lots of pwcs? The other possibility is a simple one-your small fish just may not be producing signifigant levels of ammonia. What exactly are you getting for amm readings?

jlk said:
Did you start with seeded media from an established tank? Are you doing lots of pwcs? The other possibility is a simple one-your small fish just may not be producing signifigant levels of ammonia. What exactly are you getting for amm readings?

No I didn't start with any seed material, picking some up Saturday tho :)

I do two changes a week (3 imperial gallons, roughly 3.6 in your currency)

And I was pondering the small fish situation, on Saturday I will be effectively doubling the stock in the tank so hopefully thatll help :)

And for ammo it's between 0ppm and 0.25ppm

Ok! The seeded media will definitely give things a jumpstart esp with the increase in fish! Just watch your amm/nitrite as you increase your stocking levels because you may see a spike and do pwcs as necessary. Dont hesitate to ask if you have any more questions! :)

I'm always willing to ask when I get stuck, which is a lot lol.

Just done a quick check to make sure the API Master Kit ammo test is workin and it is so that's good too lol.

I'll keep up the bi weekly water changes as per usual and I'll keep up with my testing every other day at least.

Thanks for the help

Just a suggestion, but you really should increase you water tests to daily once you add your new fish until your sure your tank is fully cycled. Hopefully, you wont see any spikes because of the addition of the seeded media but its not a guarentee. Better safe than sorry! Good luck with your new fish!! :)

jlk said:
Just a suggestion, but you really should increase you water tests to daily once you add your new fish until your sure your tank is fully cycled. Hopefully, you wont see any spikes because of the addition of the seeded media but its not a guarentee. Better safe than sorry! Good luck with your new fish!! :)

Well I was planning on Doing daily but I put at least every other just in case I'm busy and miss one day.

Back
Top Bottom