Mystery Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afterwinter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had fishless cycled my tank(6.6 bookshelf tank) over 6 weeks and it looked great w/ 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 40 nitrates for 3 days before I added my betta and 6 cherry shrimp.

Suddenly after a week I was reading ammonia. Now it is consistently showing up at 0.25 every 2 days. I feel like I am doing constant water changes. I am not missing any shrimp. I even pulled out everything into a bucket of tank water so I could vacuum better and look for any possible dead shrimp. I did an 80% water change. Still getting ammonia. I haven't cleaned my filter. I did add a sponge to my filter, two weeks before removing one of two old cartridges. I had the ammonia issue before that though.

The only other thing I did was I cut out the carbon from the cartridges after a week of having the fish in case he needed meds. He was looking terrible but is looking great now after some stress coat +. Do you think I killed my good bacteria by doing that? I left the rest of the cartridge alone. It has been 3 weeks and I just can't seem to fix my cycle.

Also I only feed the betta 2 pellets twice a day and he eats them immediately. I stopped feeding the shrimp because there is enough algae on my plants for them. The betta was eating their food and getting huge.

Ugh. I am so confused. Thanks for any help!

Here are before and after pictures of my betta. First was the day after he came home with me and the next is from today.
img_3205350_0_1d2807f016b2a2835736c00b09249aed.jpg

img_3205350_1_869587eac5dc5ab22abf8433dab56836.jpg

Beautiful fish!

Test your tap water. If your are doing this many water changes and it is still appearing that is likely the culprit.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks!

Hrm, I have checked my tap water and it is at 0 so I don't know what is going on. Maybe I should check my nitrates. Perhaps my beneficial bacteria are dead? I just can't imagine one betta and 6 shrimp are producing more ammonia than the tank was cycled at.

Cycling can be weird. Sometimes you think it is done when it really isn't. That may be the case.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom