Need a quick response ASAP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
They sell clear ammonia here at Smart and Final (a gallon) for 2.00. I looked on the back of ingredients. It said ammonium hydroxide and surfactant. Is this good for cycling purposes? Please let me know at the store!!!!!!

bruinsbro1997 said:
They sell clear ammonia here at Smart and Final (a gallon) for 2.00. I looked on the back of ingredients. It said ammonium hydroxide and surfactant. Is this good for cycling purposes? Please let me know at the store!!!!!!

Surfactant is what you want to avoid.

surfactants are a type of detergent. it wont kill the fish but wont be very good for them either. try and find surfactant free ammonia.

NO GOOD ... You don't want surfactants.

skenny said:
surfactants are a type of detergent. it wont kill the fish but wont be very good for them either. try and find surfactant free ammonia.

Key word in there DETERGENT, it will make everything all bubbly and it WILL kill fish and bacteria.

I've seen people on here use ammonia with surfactants. All surfactants do is decrease the surface tension of water. Floyd R Turbo and Big Jim have both used ammonia with surfactants successfully. But... it's best to use surfactant free ammonia if possible. Just my $.02

mfdrookie516 said:
I've seen people on here use ammonia with surfactants. All surfactants do is decrease the surface tension of water. Floyd R Turbo and Big Jim have both used ammonia with surfactants successfully. But... it's best to use surfactant free ammonia if possible. Just my $.02

Ah ok, I was under the impression the surfactants would kill the fish and the bacteria, my mistake. I have always been told to avoid it like the plague.

Try an Ace Hardware, they have the good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom