Need Help !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am running a 29 gallon Tropical tank with a Tetra ex 70, yeah I know it pumps more volume than I need, but it is a good thing right? I have had my tanks 5 weeks and I still have weird readings. They are (PH) 7.6 (High Range PH) 7.4 (Ammonia) 8.0 before and after 10 gallon wc (Nitrite) 0 (nitrate) 0.

I have a rainbow shark, 4 zebre danios, 3 swordtails, and 4 snails. They seem fine no signs of high Ammonia. Could tetrasafe start throw of my readings? I am using an API Master kit.:confused:

Welcome to AA!

Extra filtration is always a good thing if your fish can handle the water flow. I run an AquaClear 70 on my 29g and an AquaClear 110 on my 40B.

Did you do the test right? I'd be shocked if any fish are alive a 8ppm of ammonia.

If you're not familiar with the nitrogen cycle, read up on it. It looks like you just set up your tank and you're now experiencing the cycle. You'll have to do a lot of PWCs to keep your ammonia levels below 0.25ppm. Eventually the biological filter will get established and you'll only have to do weekly PWCs to deal with the nitrates.

Try maybe testing your pure tap water before any additives. If nothing, try adding the tetra start and testing that, too.

I've never had that being a cause of it, but for your peace of mind it's worth a shot. For a while, though, lots of partial water changes pretty frequently is really the only option.. assuming you hadn't cycled the tank prior. :)

Yeah I did the test Twicw to be sure. I even used 2 different test, Ill try one more time, hold a sec lol,, Ammonia is 8.0. I add 8 drops of additive 1 shook it add 8 drops aditive 2 shook, waited 5 mine got a dark green color. HELP!!!! Why am I getting these readings I just did a 33% water change.

Try maybe testing your pure tap water before any additives. If nothing, try adding the tetra start and testing that, too.

I've never had that being a cause of it, but for your peace of mind it's worth a shot. For a while, though, lots of partial water changes pretty frequently is really the only option.. assuming you hadn't cycled the tank prior. :)

I thought the tank had cycled. even after the wc im getting the same readings.:neutral:

Tested Plain Tap 1ppm with prime 0 with safe start .25>

(PH) 7.6 (High Range PH) 7.4 (Ammonia) 8.0 before and after 10 gallon wc (Nitrite) 0 (nitrate) 0.

Other than ammonia is the others ok?

A 33% water change should drop your ammonia to 5.3 from 8.0. It might not be enough to distinguish the color change. Another 50% PWC should drop the ammonia from 5.3 to 2.6. You'll have to do a lot of PWCs to get rid of that ammonia.

+1 Big Jim is giving you good advice. Keep doing PWCs. If your ammonia is actually 8ppm, you need to get that lower or you will experience some fish deaths.

+1 Big Jim is giving you good advice. Keep doing PWCs. If your ammonia is actually 8ppm, you need to get that lower or you will experience some fish deaths.

Ok did 50% change two yesterday and one so far today and the results are (PH) 7.6< (HRPH) 7.4 (AM) 4> (Nitrites) 0 (nitrates) 0. What am I doing wrong where is my Nitrates?:confused:

Are u maybe overfeeding? A day or two after overfeeding and you will see a big spike in Ammonia -- add that to normal fish waste and you got a bunch of water to get rid of if your not cycled.

Are u maybe overfeeding? A day or two after overfeeding and you will see a big spike in Ammonia -- add that to normal fish waste and you got a bunch of water to get rid of if your not cycled.

So should I clean the rocks and start over? or what should I do? :( I seeded the tank from a LFS and thought I was on the right track.....:(

Maybe a good gravel vac would do some good. Since you don't have a good bacteria colony yet i don't see how it could hurt. It may clean out alot of decaying crud.

But you seeded with gravel from their plant tank not a fish tank. It may not of had the bacteria you needed.

Update Re: NEED HELP !!!

I am running a 29 gallon Tropical tank with a Tetra ex 70, yeah I know it pumps more volume than I need, but it is a good thing right? I have had my tanks 5 weeks and I still have weird readings. They are (PH) 7.6 (High Range PH) 7.4 (Ammonia) 8.0 before and after 10 gallon wc (Nitrite) 0 (nitrate) 0.

I have a rainbow shark, 4 zebre danios, 3 swordtails, and 4 snails. They seem fine no signs of high Ammonia. Could tetrasafe start throw of my readings? I am using an API Master kit.:confused:

As of tonight my readings are: PH-7.6 HRPH-7.4 AM- .5 (as you can see alot lower than when i joined):) NI- 0 NA-0. What can I do now to get the nitrates up? :confused:

Don't worry about the nitrAtes just yet. Just keep watching the ammonia and nitrItes. Since you're in essence doing a cycle with fish you're going have to do a lot of work - not hard work, but work none the less. Keep watching the ammonia. Try and keep it just below 0.25 ppm (this will give you the best chance of not injuring any fish). As you're doing water changes to keep ammonia at that level, start watching the nitrItes. You'll want to see it start to trend up, but don't let it get too high (less than 0.25 ppm). At some point you'll see your ammonia and nitrItes start to trend towards zero. That's when you'll start to watch your nitrAtes. At that point you'll want to make sure your nitrAtes don't climb above roughly 20 ppm. If you can maintain those parameters for a while your tank will cycle. I must say though, it will take a long time. This method I just described will, in my opinion, give you the best of both worlds; a tank that has the ammonia to cycle and one that doesn't have so much ammonia that it'll kill your fish. And in all fairness, I have to admit it will take a lot of work.

(Looks like I answered your PM here. Just remember, this is my opinion of how things can be done. Listen to everyone and formulate the best plan you can based on that info).

Back
Top Bottom