Need help cycling 50 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

attystgo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I am doing a fishless cycling in my new 50 g tank. My tank has a penguin 350 with two biowheels. I began on September 4, 2012. I am using fish flakes and a frozen shrimp to perform the cycle. I am also using filter media from another of my established tanks.

On August 10, I added to the aquarium some driftwood (after boiling it for more than one hour with water changes), three anubias nana, one Oriental Sword, two bronze wendth (tropica), some java moss, some ferns, an Amazon Sword and another plant of which I do not know the name.

I am using an API kit to measure ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. I am following all the instructions.

On September 6, ammonia began to appear (0.25) and has been constant all this time. Nitrites have always read 0. Nitrates have always read 0 also, until today, in which the color of the sample was between 0-5 ppm. Is this normal? I have read that a spike on ammonia is expected, then a spike on nitrites and then a spike on nitrates while the other two go to 0. What could be happening to my tank?

When I planted it, I added some fertilizers with Iodine and Iron.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom