Need help in understanding water results please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gaz77

Aquarium Advice Regular
I my tank as been fish in cycling for three weeks know and I have just left it to do its own thing had a problem trying to keep the ammonia down but that seems to be dropping a little(didn't help that my tank had been running for two weeks with the plastic bags still on the filters !)so my results from water test today his
Ph 8.0
Am 0.50
Nit 5.0
Nitrate 10/20 ppm

So can anybody tell me if I am on the right road or I need to do something else?

Regards gaz

Looks like the cycle is progressing; you're in the nitrite phase, where nitrites will rise and then once enough bacteria grow the nitrites will drop to 0 on their own. Unfortunately the nitrite phase is the longest of the phases, about 3 weeks on average. Also they are as toxic to fish as ammonia, so you want to keep them under .5. With fish in the tank I'd do 2-3 50% water changes a few hours apart to get those levels down to keep the fish safe. In case you haven't seen them, here are some guides that might help:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Think that's your problem right there. You should stock slowly and only use a few fish for the first 2-3 weeks of a fish in cycle. That's why you have struggled with ammonia. You are on the nitrite part now so maybe a couple more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom