Need help with first fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzarkGold

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm 5 wks in on my fishless cycle for my 90 gallon freshwater tank. I don't have a day to day diary. I'm running 2 Fluval 306's and have a large air stone going. I'm using ACE brand janitorial ammonia and using an API test kit.

I'm dosing it to 4 ppm and have been from the start. After the first 2 wks, the ammonia dropped to 0 every 24hrs and continues to do so. The nitrites and nitrates have never gone off the chart but after about 3 wks, the nitrites went to 5 ppm and somewhere around the 4th wk, the nitrites went down to .50 ppm, and the nitrates have only ever made it up to 20 ppm, but now they keep staying around 5 ppm. I did do a 50% water change when the nitrites went down to .50 ppm. At this point, the ammonia still drops to 0 every 24 hrs, nitrites remain at 5 ppm and nitrates still hover around 5 to 10 ppm. The ph has remained at 8.2 the whole 5 wks.

I'm wondering why my cycle isn't completing yet. Does it sound like I'm on the right track? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi! Just so I am on the same page, your ammonia is steadily dropping to zero in 24hrs but your nitrites started dropping & now are no longer dropping & are atleast 5+ppm? 5ppm is as high as the API test reads which means your nitrites may be 5 or 10 or 50ppm. Have you only performed one 50% wc so far in 5 weeks time or more than one? I think its time for a big water change to drop your nitrites down to a readable number (2ppm or preferably less)- do as close to a 100% wc as you are able to manage. Make sure you temperature match & properly condition the new water. Wait 1/2 hr & retest your nitrites & let us know what they read & we can proceed from there (do not add ammonia yet). Increasing the heat to 84-85f range & increasing aeration will help as well (if your not already doing this). Also, how do your numbers look for your tap water (amm, nitrite, nitrate)? Keep us posted!

After 95 % water change

jlk, thanks for the reply. Per your suggestion, just did a 95% wc and don't know if it's what water was left in the canister filters or what, but the test readings now are as follows: ammonia 0, nitrites 2.0, nitrates between 40 and 80 ppm. Now, this is way out of line with what the tank readings have been for the past 5 wks.

I just tested the tap water and even tho it was an immediate test with no letting the water sit, the readings are the same as the last time I tested it and that is ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 ppm.

I didn't do a test just before I changed the water today. I'm totally confused now. What do you think?

Nothing to worry about! Occasionally when levels get insanely high, the tests will get screwy results. It just indicates that both your nitrites & nitrates were both very high. Relax & let everything be & let's see if your nitrites will drop on their own in 24hrs. No ammonia. Once they fall to 1 or lower, you can very gradually start to re-add ammonia without things getting crazy again. Let us know how your nitrites & nitrates look in 24hrs. :)

jlk

Well shoot !!!! After my last reply, it didnt look like you were online anymore, and I added the ammonia like the noob that I am !!! I guess I was thinking it wasnt good for it not to have any overnight.

Oh well...I'll just test again tomorrow night and if another water change is needed then so be it !! LOL

Thanks for the help,,,much appreciated !!!

No big deal! We can just work from tomorrows numbers & if a wc is needed, so be it. You bacteria will be fine without amm for a night or even multiple nights, so don't worry! I think once things are under control, your tank will finish cycling pretty quickly. Keep us posted! :)

Hello jlk

Well, got home from work and tested the tank. Readings are as follows:
ammo = 0
nitrites = 0.25
nitrates = 120

What do you think?

Thanks

Wow! Thats great!! The big water change really helped your tank out! Did you dose 4ppm of ammonia last night? If so, go ahead & dose the same amount again tonight. Keep us posted on how things look tomorrow! :)

Yes,4 ppm Sunday night and 4ppm again last night. We'll see what we get tonight...looks like its getting pretty close !!!

Thanks Again

By the way, here is what we're working with ::)

IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0050.jpg

Last edited:
???

Nice tank! Keep us posted! :)

Thanks !

Well, not sure what to think about tonights tests !?

ammo = 0.50

nitrites = between 0 and 0.25

nitrates = 100

This is the first time since the start of the third week(we are 5.5 weeks in now ), that the ammo did not zero out.:confused: Hope I'm not going backwards !

Closer yet ?

Alright...tonights test results are:

Ammo = 0

Nitrites = 0

Nitrates = 80

ph = 8.2

This was after dosing to 2ppm lastnight.

Looking good I think. :)

Thats great! Ok, increase your dose to 2.5ppm & lets see how everything looks tomorrow! If all is well, you can increase the dose to 3ppm tomorrow. :)

No, your numbers are fine! When the amm dose is increased, the bacteria have to increase as well to handle the higher amount. This doesnt necessarily happen in 24hrs & there will be a slight lag as they catch up. Just dose the same amount as you did last night & we will see how things tomorrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom