Need pH to stabilize...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doodledog

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My aquarium is a 46 gal bow and has been set up for 2 months now. It has some live and some fake plants in it, with community fish. I've used water conditioners and water stabilizers to start it up and have cleaned the filter. My pH is still alkaline (7.6). How long should it take a new aquarium to stabilize the pH? What can I do ???

Welcome to AA!

What additives exactly are you using?

I don't recommend attempting to control your pH. It's going to cause you huge amounts of trouble in the long run. A stable pH is much better than a targeted pH for all involved. There is nothing wrong with a 7.6pH.

I concur with neilanh, you are much better off leaving your pH alone than constantly trying to adjust it. A stable pH is much more important than a specific pH.

About only time that you might need to adjust your water parameters is when trying to get certain species to breed. Even then you don't want to use chemicals to lower the pH. You would start with RO water and mix it with tap water to get the desired numbers. Again, this is completely unecessary in most situations.

Hi doodledog.

Me-three on the advice given above. If you're like me, it probably flies in the face of things you've read and been told by various sources, but they are both right.

Are you having problems that are concerning you?

Chances are your pH from the tap is about 7.6. Thats a great pH and as long as it doesn't fluctuate your fish will be fine.

The advice given above is excellent. :)

BAH!! Why didnt I check into this forum years ago (assuming it has been here for awhile)?! I have always had to fight with ph to keep it about 6.5 as I was lead to believe that was a optimal level to maintain. I have read 2 threads here and both of them have completely rocked my understanding of tank management!! I had kept a 75 gallon tank for over ten years and always was concerned about a target ph. Now I am starting up again with a smaller tank for my kids and I was fighting with the ph all over again to hit target.

Don't fight it, go with it. It'd be a different story if you were trying to breed sensitive fish, but for normal fishkeeping just let it be, you and your fish will be happier and less stressed.

Back
Top Bottom