neon playing dead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Howdy

One of my neon tetras seems to be playing dead!
He losses his colour then tips head first into a verticall position and lets his body roll, this lasts for just a few seconds.
I know this sounds really bad but he's been doing it on and off for a week now and all the other fish are fine.
It's strange he does it now and then and it's getting worrying!..but once he's done he's back to full colour swimming around like the others again.
what's wrong with him!?
I've checked for ich and dropsy, he's a healthy size and the water parametres are fine. Surely it's not a behaviour?
Thanks in advance.
Ry.

The fish should be isolated just in case this behavior is related to disease...particularly neon tetra disease, which is highly contagious. There is also whirling disease.

Neons do play dead, but under certain conditions instead of out of the blue sort of deal and only lasts momentarily instead of recurring. Like when they are netted and put into a catch up and even bagged, they'll stand on their heads and seem to 'float' like a dead fish.

Check water parameters...ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. Pay attention to nitrate levels. Post results...numbers please.

Observe the one neon while in isolation. Some whirling type behavior are parasitic driven inside the spine and head of the fish. This causes neural damage which often results in whirling. It may or may not be continuous. Treat with an internal anti parasitic medication. Jungle makes one.

This whirling can also be caused by injury to the head.

Funny behaviour in Neons has always preceeded death in my short experience with them. Hope it works out.

sorry about the late reply...
here are the water parametres as of 5 minutes ago:
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 0.25ppm (why so low?)
KH: 40ppm
Ph: 6.4
Co2: around 26.27 if I'm not mistaken. That's good yeah!? plants are loving it anyways...I'm going to be needing an underwater whippersnipper soon... :lol:

I'm having trouble getting the Ph higher than 6.4 but it's really steady and the fish don't seem to mind...esp. the neons, I mean don't they like la ower Ph anyways? The only fish I'm worried about with the Ph is my dwarf blue ram...but he's looking good...

Nitrate. I've always had really really low nitrate levels. The plants are all doing fine though so I don't worry about itmuch...but I'm sure I'll be told otherwise!?aha...

The neon is still acting up now and then. not all the time but atleast twice a day when I look.
I'm stating to think that it's nothing to be worried about. I haven't lost a fish since I set up the tank 6 months ago
thanks in advance.
Ry.

Back
Top Bottom