New 20 g aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,

First post here; new to the site and the hobby!

Bought a 20g Topfin starter kit tank from PetSmart. Set up the aquarium on a sturdy bedside table, which was not exactly level. It wobbled quite a bit, so I fixed that with some cardboard strips, and it seemed to work just fine. After doing a little research, I heard that the aquarium walls can weaken if the water is not evenly distributed. I measured the water level from the top of the tank from the left to the right side of the front. There roughly is a 2mm discrepancy between the difference in measurements. The uneven water level is slightly noticeable to the high, however I'm not sure if this could pose a risk in the future, regarding the integrity of the silicone seams.

Added in the gravel, plants, and decor, water, and placed the wallpaper two days ago. Started my fishless cycle using a "pinch" of tropical fish food daily to spike ammonia levels. Do you think I should add "lots" of food initially to create a more significant spike in ammonia levels? Little confused with the cycling process. I have the heater between 80 and 85 F.

Been thinking about buying some live plants, and was wondering where I could get driftwood to create a more natural look. I'm going to get a male betta fish, but I don't know what other fish would go well with it. A couple pointers would be really appreciated.

Thanks for everything
Regards,
JA

1. You should be okay if it is only 2mm. Styrofoam also works well as a base.
2. In the future, if the seam weakens, use 100% silicon and reseal it. Depending on where it is, you will have to empty the tank. You should be okay though.
3. I think you should purchase janitorial grade ammonia. The 100% stuff. Don't get the one with any additives. This is more accurate. However, if you don't want to, make sure you are testing your water every day and look online how to fishless cycle with fish food. Look at the fishless cycle anyways. Good read. LOL
4. When you get fish in, you can lower the temperature to 76-78
5. You can get driftwood at petco, or order it from one of the vendors on the site. I prefer getting it from online vendors because it is higher quality than petco, but if you should look to see if you can find one you like. If you are getting driftwood, I would grab some java fern as it really likes to grow on drift wood. Anacharis and hornwort are also good beginner plants that will really help when you are cycling. In fact, grabbing a few bundles while you are cycling will help a lot.
6. Since you want the male betta, make sure the filter isn't too strong, and if it is, try to baffle it with some plants in the way or adjust the flow or something of the like. When it comes to stocking with bettas, they usually do well with fish with non flowing fins. Also stay away from gourami's as they will fight with the bettas.

I suggest stocking 1 male and 2 female platies with the betta, along with 6 cory cats as I like the way they look. Several cherry shrimp and nerite snails will complete the look. :)

I would add the betta last so he doesn't claim any territory and be aggressive to the others. I would add the platies first, then in a week or two add three cories, then in a week add 3 more, then add the betta, shrimps, and nerites.

Keep an eye on your parameters! The API Master Kit is very useful for this. Do your research on your stocking, and use aqadvisor to help.

If I missed anything, feel free to ask.

Best of luck on your journey to the wet side! - Raymond

Because he is cycling and I think he got confused in that the ammonia "spike" is when it stops climbing, and starts going down. You want your ammonia to be at 5ppm

It gives food to your beneficial bacteria. Rotting fish food does the same thing, but the liquid ammonia is more reliable. And cleaner. Much cleaner.

However long it takes for your ammonia to spike then go to 0 ppm and for your nitrite to spike and go down to 0 ppm. Once nitrates start showing up and ammonia and nitrite at are 0 ppm you are good to go.

Alright, cuz I just bought a new 20 gallon today, and I was wondering if I could get a head start by putting some water from another tank into the 20 gallon so it has bacteria already

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Not much bacteria is in the water column. I would move some of your filter media. Getting some bacteria in a bottle can also shorten the time you need to cycle but nonetheless you need to cycle.

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies. You guys are so helpful :)

Icydeath- I was at PetSmart today, and the guy there told me that 2mm is negligible and won't cause any problems. He told me that I would not experience leaking from my tank, for at least five years. Just wanted to verify is this is correct, because I want to be as SAFE as possible. Really want to avoid any leaks, because I cannot afford any water damage as the tank is on the top floor of my house.

It's been about three days and I have only seen about 0.25 to 0.50 ppm of ammonia levels in tank. I have been adding quite a bit of fish food, but still am unsure of how much is the ideal amount. The filter media is quite yellow from the fish food, but I believe it is just starting to rot.

I ended up buying a medium sized fish tank decoration today, and didn't dechlorinate the water I rinsed it in before placing into the tank. Would this be a problem for the bacteria?

Was going to pick up some red ludwigia plants, hornwot, and java fern but was recommended against from the guy there, since they wouldn't do well when cycling the tank. what do you guys think? I still have some doubts.

Any others want to chime in with some fish suggestions? I really do like the look of the platies.

Another thing I recently notices is a thin long scratch on the inside of my tank from the magnet cleaner :( Is there a way to at least hide the scratch? My family swears that it isn't noticeable, however it's driving me nuts!

Thanks again~
JA

did some tests, and it looks like my pH is pretty high around 8. My alkalinity is quite high as well.

Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the replies. You guys are so helpful :)

Icydeath- I was at PetSmart today, and the guy there told me that 2mm is negligible and won't cause any problems. He told me that I would not experience leaking from my tank, for at least five years. Just wanted to verify is this is correct, because I want to be as SAFE as possible. Really want to avoid any leaks, because I cannot afford any water damage as the tank is on the top floor of my house.

1. Yeah you should be ok. Just keep an eye on it to catch it if leaks. :)

It's been about three days and I have only seen about 0.25 to 0.50 ppm of ammonia levels in tank. I have been adding quite a bit of fish food, but still am unsure of how much is the ideal amount. The filter media is quite yellow from the fish food, but I believe it is just starting to rot.

2. Ace Hardware has some pure ammonia. Make sure it is only water and ammonia hydroxide.

I ended up buying a medium sized fish tank decoration today, and didn't dechlorinate the water I rinsed it in before placing into the tank. Would this be a problem for the bacteria?

3. You should be okay

Was going to pick up some red ludwigia plants, hornwot, and java fern but was recommended against from the guy there, since they wouldn't do well when cycling the tank. what do you guys think? I still have some doubts.

4. You should be okay adding them, in fact, people use hornwort doing the cycle to help out.

Any others want to chime in with some fish suggestions? I really do like the look of the platies.

5. Hmm you could get three platies, several corydoras, shrimps and a few snails. Or Cherry Barbs instead of cories.

Another thing I recently notices is a thin long scratch on the inside of my tank from the magnet cleaner :( Is there a way to at least hide the scratch? My family swears that it isn't noticeable, however it's driving me nuts!

6. I have that too. I just leave it alone and polish the front outside glass and dry it with a cotton fabric. I use underwear LOL. Normally a nice tank draws attention away from scratches. :)

Thanks again~
JA

Hope that helps. :) Btw, my color thing doesn't work for some reason. but the color= is me XD

Thanks Icydeath for clearing up a lot of my doubts!

So it seems that the guy at PetSmart was mistaken about the plants. I guess that isn't so uncommon, the more I learn on this forum :p

When I do my next water change, I will try to make things as level as possible just to be on he safe side.

As with cycling, ammonia is extremely hard to come by here in Calgary, so I'll continue with the fish food cycling. I will TRY to be patient, bc staring at an empty tank for a month sure is fun :rolleyes:

Do you recommend me going down to the pet store and picking up some plants that you mentioned? Any advice on "feeding" the plants?

Much thanks~

JA

I use florapride, root tabs, and liquid co2 for my tank. I would refrain from dosing while your tank is cycling as the plants will have plenty of nutrients.

Anarcharis is a good plant to get. Hornwort as well. I really like Anubias but it probably won't aid in cycling as it grows slowly. Most fast growers work well though.

Glad I could help, - Raymond

I don't know whether they're readily available in your area, but you could have a nice school of celestial pearl danios and your betta. You could always go with kuhli loaches or small cories. If you go with those platies I bet they would be happy to breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use florapride, root tabs, and liquid co2 for my tank. I would refrain from dosing while your tank is cycling as the plants will have plenty of nutrients.

Anarcharis is a good plant to get. Hornwort as well. I really like Anubias but it probably won't aid in cycling as it grows slowly. Most fast growers work well though.

Glad I could help, - Raymond

I will taken note of the items you mentioned. I will pick up the plants next time I'm at PetSmart ;) Thanks

Back
Top Bottom