New 20 Gallon Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lkomblevicz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I have recently started a 20 gallon fish tank about a month and a half ago. Currently housed in the tank are 2 long finned zebra danios, 1 zebra danio, 2 leopard zebra danios, 2 cherry barbs, and 3 gold barbs. I used to have 3 cherry barbs but sadly an unexpected death took one of them. There is only a group of 2 cherry barbs currently and I was wondering if they will be okay in a group that size? I know that is not ideal but I do not know what to do. I could surrender them to my local afs but they seem to be doing fine currently so I do not know. I attached an image of my tank. Any recommendations or thoughts? Would you consider my tank overstocked? I have a 20 aqueon quiet flow filter and I do monthly water changes. If not I was thinking of getting Cory catfish. Would that be pushing my tanks capacity? I want the best for my fish so please tell me if the biolad will be too much. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 69
That's an odd choice of fish to keep together in an aquarium. I would suggest keeping one kind for now and see where that takes you. As for the cory fish, I'm sure you could keep a small group of three. You could go with Livebearers in this aquarium, The females often give birth every couple of weeks or a month apart. I don't really know how to help you with your situation, I am not familiar with the filter that you have. Perhaps someone else can help you out in a better way. Anyways, That's my advice. Good Luck. XD

All the fish you have are schooling fish which ALL require six or more of that particular species, work on that stocking.

That's an odd choice of fish to keep together in an aquarium. I would suggest keeping one kind for now and see where that takes you. As for the cory fish, I'm sure you could keep a small group of three. You could go with Livebearers in this aquarium, The females often give birth every couple of weeks or a month apart. I don't really know how to help you with your situation, I am not familiar with the filter that you have. Perhaps someone else can help you out in a better way. Anyways, That's my advice. Good Luck. XD

I already have those fish so I can not restart with one species:( I was going to put livebearers in my tank but I did not want to get overrun with fry and not have enough space for all of them. Thank you though

All the fish you have are schooling fish which ALL require six or more of that particular species, work on that stocking.

Yes I know that, I had at least 3 of each species until one of the cherry barbs passed away. The zebra danios and gold barbs hang around each other and all of the fish look happy. None of them are really hiding.

Yes I know that, I had at least 3 of each species until one of the cherry barbs passed away. The zebra danios and gold barbs hang around each other and all of the fish look happy. None of them are really hiding.

So lemme quote
"at least six of each species"

Do a water change weekly or every 2 weeks max if you really don't have time, but don't neglect the tank. Don't add any fish now, just let the tank cycle and balance and little bit for now since its only been a month since you've set it up. Cory cats are great, highly recommend them :) keep the barbs it's ok. Those plastic plants are really ugly, sorry ?. Throw them out and get live plants. Looks like you've got nice bright lights so beginner plants wouldn't be a problem

Do a water change weekly or every 2 weeks max if you really don't have time, but don't neglect the tank. Don't add any fish now, just let the tank cycle and balance and little bit for now since its only been a month since you've set it up. Cory cats are great, highly recommend them :) keep the barbs it's ok. Those plastic plants are really ugly, sorry ?. Throw them out and get live plants. Looks like you've got nice bright lights so beginner plants wouldn't be a problem

Ok thank you I will start doing weekly water changes. I'll wait a few months and see what happens. I didn't want to get live plants right off the bat because I didn't want to overwhelm myself but in the future their may be some!

50 percent weekly a good general rule. However I think at least one larger one per month is good.

50pwc x 3
75pwc x 1

fifty percent
honestly I never heard of someone not doing water changes every week until I came to this forum, guessing its just a aquascaping theory to get rid of excess nutrients in the water column

fifty percent
honestly I never heard of someone not doing water changes every week until I came to this forum, guessing its just a aquascaping theory to get rid of excess nutrients in the water column

I'm thinking that many folks go by or previously have gone by the advice of LFS or big box stores. I remember when monthly water changes were the norm. 10-25% at that.

Yep...I went from no wc to the 10-25 percent method too 50 plus. By the time I die ill have to do a 100 each week lol

Back
Top Bottom