new 36 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nitrous

Aquarium Advice FINatic
well in preporation for my new tank i took some of my bio balls i had and put them in my 20 gal and once i set up my new tank ill put those in. i already bought the filter should i wash out the cartridge and then let that soak in my 20 gal then place it in my new 1?

anything else but i really dont like the idea of switching gravel into my new tank but other ideas will be liked

thanks in advance

Definately wash out the cartridge. You can put it in the filter of another tank if you have the space for it. It will definately jump start the cycle. Which fish are you moving to the new 20 gal tank?

you can also just tank a little plastic cup and put some gravel in it from ur already cycled tanks and put it in the 36gal when you set it up. The bacteria already in the gravel will spread into the tank from the cup. Thats how i cycled my tank, along with running my 20 gal filter in it. It took only 3 or 4 days to cycle :D

Also, you don't want to run the new tank too long with no bioload, as the bacteria will start to die off, then all that work will be for nothing.

Lonewolfblue said:
Also, you don't want to run the new tank too long with no bioload, as the bacteria will start to die off, then all that work will be for nothing.

i was about to say the same thing.. make sure you add a few fish as soon as you seed the new tank to make sure the bacteria has something to feed it!!!

Since you're not moving any of your fish, are you planning on purchasing a larger tank in the future for the sharks?

Back
Top Bottom