New 50 Gallon Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daydreamer4186

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! A local aquarium store is going out of business and they are giving me one of their 50gal tanks for $50! I have all of the equipment for it so all I will need is some lovely inhabitants. I have some ideas of what I'd like to stock it with and not all of these will be purchased at the same time. What do you all think of these in the tank?

5 neon tetras
5 dwarf platys
3-4 mollies
2 dwarf gouramis
3 corydoras (not sure which kind yet)

does this sound like too many? could add more? any conflicts btwn fish? Thanks for your help!

Be sure to run a cycle on your tank.... make sure all your new friends have a SAFE place to live :D

that is a small list of fish, but sounds great, dont forget to get an alage eater possibly a bristle nose
that will help you reduce your alage
i would add more fish to that size tank, LOL but that me

I'm thinking of also adding 1 pleco and maybe some more neon tetras. Maybe some male guppies as well.

Just don't add a common pleco unless you plan on getting a much bigger tank in the future, some can get up to 3' long.
Bistlenose plecos get to about 5" and come in a veriety of colors, both regular and long fin. Also there are quite a few specialty plecos that stay on the small size.

Remember gourami can be very territorial. With all those livebearers you will probably have a few make it into adulthood and might end up with more than you started with. I know the gourami will help but that can turn into a lot of fry.

Clown plecos don't make good algae eaters, but the are good at keeping the driftwood clean. They stay small but are very shy or at least mine is seldom seen.

Back
Top Bottom