new 55gal tank stockin suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjacks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my aunt is supposed to b givin me 55gal with a stand (so excited cant wait) ..ok my thing is im not sure how many or what fishbto put in it..I definately want a colorful selection some beginner live plants thinkin java fern r some moss.. not sure what i want sand, rock etc..any advice would help.. oh n i have a betta and 3 otocinclus already but i thought about puttin a divider in the tank separatin 5gals for my betta then havin 50gals for other fish n otos has anyone ever done this?

Wanted to add that i like the glofish .. i really want some panda barbs... i like the flame dwarf gourami but i havent researched it yet just luv the colorin...thanks again in advance

kjacks said:
Wanted to add that i like the glofish .. i really want some panda barbs... i like the flame dwarf gourami but i havent researched it yet just luv the colorin...thanks again in advance

I wouldn't put the betta in that tank divided or not
I recommend keeping him in the tank you already have
What about-
6-glofish
10-panda barbs
1-flame dwarf gourami
10-panda cories
3-otos
And what other fish do you like?

I once had a betta in my 55gal tank and he got along just fine. But, as a warning, he will not do well with any fish of a similar size and color. I had introduced a pair of female golden wonder killies and the betta hated them and I was forced to take him out. So size is deffinetly an issue with them I guess.

Well i have a list of fish i looked at last night but i havent researched alot yet since im using my phone but i plan to read up on all of them on my moms pc before i purchase them... i like flame dwarf gourami,neon blue dwarf gourami, cherry barbs, panda barbs,glo light tetras,balloon molly, & rainbow fish... i like the african cichlids but i havent really checked them out alot either ..i read about their water requirements n aggression towards their species n stopped..but knowin even with doing research its best to get others opinions here i am..

Seems like most of the fish i want r for the middle r even the bottom..i need some for the top to kinda even it out ..this is kinda what i had n mind before i realized this...
6 cherry barbs
6 glolight
6 panda barbs r rosy barbs
3 otos (already have)
4 ghost shrimp
1 balloon molly (considering)
1 r 2 dwarf gourami (considering)

Also if for some reason my aunt doesnt give me the 55gal i want to purchase a 75gal i think...just to make sure i dont overload / out grow the tank ..well im sure ill have more once we get more room n i learn more stuff

Yeah I have 2 male DG and they get on fine . They have reached maturity and are best friends !!! Lol . But I'm one of the lucky ones. 90% of the time it won't work out. So stick with emeralds advice and just get one!

Oh ok..i have read so much stuff couldnt remenber if they got alone but of course would have double checkd before purchase...also saw on here i think that regular gouramis r better then dwarf something about dwarf gettin sickness . What do yall think?

Yes they can. Ey can get dwarf gourami disease . But I never had anything like that on any of my fish

Im definately not super experienced so i do want easier fish...i luv the color of the flame dg and the neon blue dg..i also want colorful fish n some beginner plants ..i have lots of ideas...

My hubby likes them.. i definately just dont want babies..thats kinda y i stayd away from them..i know alot of people that bought a few from petsmart n had babies shortly after being added to the tank r n the bag n the way home...if i had my tank i could of gotten them for $1 at petsmart they have been on sale..we only have 1 lfs n i dont think its a good 1 other then petsmart n then walmart.. i need to check it out though everytime i go its closed..

Yea if they r smart enough to tell the difference...i swear they dont know anything..which i know its not all petsmart people but ours is almost worse then walmart...

Im actually gettin my tank monday ..well if the lady is home..but definately this week..im not sure if its a 50gal or 75 gal..my aunt flaked on me but my friends mom is sellin 1 for $60 with a underground system n black gravel with the hood and a air bubbler system...oh n a black stand n some decor.. im soo excited cant wait to see it..the only way im passing it up is if it looks really bad n i cant fix it..then i have a 50gal at petsmart with my name on it friday...lol either way ill have my new tank...i cant wait

Since i already had this thread thought i woukd stay on it..i kinda changed directions with my tank..im really considerin gettin german blue rams r a gold 1...i want to make this my main fish.. i had been lookin at boesemani rainbows nanus cory cats..debatin on whether the rainbow will take away from the ram...cause i want it to stand out the most...

In a 55 you could up your schools some. I'm not the greatest at stocking but how about:

10 cherry barbs
12 glofish
6-8 panda barbs or rosy barbs
3 otos
20+ ghost shrimp (I'd suggest getting a larger number than 5 or else you'll never see them lol)
1 balloon molly (considering)
1 German Blue Ram (you might be able to do a pair of males or a mating pair but if they mate they can become aggressive; also they'll most likely eat your shrimp)
For the top you might be able to fit in a school of harlequin rasbora

Do you know what filter is on the tank? Will it be fully cycled? That's something else to consider as well before you start adding fish.

All i have now is he tank so i thought i would figure out what i wanted fish wise then plan my whole setup around them..im comsiderin gettin a hob filter and under gravel filter also..i have a large airstone already..i do plan to cycle it first .. i did think about gettin a mating pair of german rams but wasnt sure if it would b best ... i think im not gonna get the glo fish bc i dont wanna get my fish from walmart n my petsmart never really as them..i already have to special order the rams,b.rainbows, n nanus cory cats r drive 2hrs away to see if they have them..im very limited here...i was thinkin of gettin 10 r 15 shrimp n mayb a few nerite snails also..i want my tank as natural as possible n if some shrimp get eaten not a biggie...

Back
Top Bottom