New 6.2 gal Aquarium - Fishless Cycle Questions (like everyone else)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraevan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a 6.2g Imagitarium all-in-one setup for my daughter, (I'll be doing the maintenance on it). Pics and specs on my profile, and a little history in my intro thread here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f59/come-by-and-say-hello-347481.html

The stock filter cartridges seemed REALLY weak, so I replaced them with better and more filter media. I figured overkill vs underkill when such a small amount of waste puts water parameters into the danger zone in such a small tank.

I started a fishless cycle in the tank on 3/10, following "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling." I bought ACE Hardware ammonium and have been dosing the tank to 4ppm whenever it gets down to 1ppm. I did the math and it only takes 2 drops of pure ammonium to reach 4ppm in 6.2g of water. When it gets down to 1ppm, I just add another drop and the levels go back up. I test and dose every other day.
For testing, I've been using the Tetra 6 In-One and ammonia strips. I've read that the API Master Kit is more recommended, so I've ordered it and will use it when I run out of strips. Whether accurate or not, the strips have been really consistent for me. Although ~150 tests per type at $30 is more economical than 25 tests per $18.

My readings have been consistent for the last 2.5 weeks as follows:

Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Hardness: 75ppm
Chlorine: 0ppm
Alkalinity: 80-120ppm (hard to read color)
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 1-5ppm (depending on dosage)

I also keep the temp at 84F for the bacteria metabolism and have an air stone on max running over the bio media in my filter. I also bought some fish flakes and put a tiny amount of powdered flakes in the tank. I have attempted to follow eco23's guide to the T.

I've never had a nitrite or nitrate reading in my tank and this is where I'm concerned. It's been 2.5 weeks and my ammonia has been consistently decreasing pretty much ever since I started adding it. I purchased two plants from an established Petco Biocube for seeding material when I started my cycle. I know plants consume the same chemicals that BB do, so are my plants consuming the ammonia in the water and leaving nothing for the BB? Do I need to add a higher concentration of ammonia, or am I not being patient enough for the nitrites to appear?

I also know the nitrite>nitrate bacteria don't particularly like ammonia in the water, so did I kill off the secondary bacteria initially attached to the seeding plants with the ammonia I've been using to try and grow the primary bacteria?

I might also add that I have done a 20% water change to restore the pH buffers and keep adding a quart or so of conditioned water whenever the tank needs a top off.

Any help, reassurance, or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

I think 4-6 weeks is the norm for a fishless cycling starting from scratch. Though the plants will add some BB, you will get better results using a portion of established media. If you choose to go this route and cannot get it locally, an online source includes Angels Plus and other AA members.
Not sure about the high ammonia affecting the bacteria you mentioned; I've heard of increased nitrite (>5 ppm) causing a cycle to stall. Not certain how valid that is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So what you're saying is just wait? I figured nitrites would have shown up by now?

I tried to get some filter media or gravel from Petco, but the guy working said he tossed his prefilters right before I got there, so I got the plants instead.

I'll take a look at the Angels Plus. Thanks for the tip.

I wish I had a source for you, but I've been reading so many articles I don't know where it came from, but I thought I read that the secondary bacteria don't grow too well in ammonia rich water. That could be misremembered or just plain false info.

Nitrites are acidic right? So high nitrites can cause the pH to drop, which would slow the BB metabolism and stall the cycle since the BB prefer ~7.5 pH.

Sent from my XT1254 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The amount of time it takes to complete the fishless cycle seems to vary quite dramatically on a case by case basis. One thing that jumps out at me though is how often have you been dosing the ammonia? Are you keeping it at least above 1ppm the entire time? If so, then just hurry up and wait! you'll see the nitrites soon enough.

I've been testing and dosing every other day since I started. The tank has never been below 1ppm and I dose it back up to ~4ppm when it gets low. Seems like waiting is the hard part. The family keeps chiding about the empty tank.

Well, here's the nitrites, and even a few nitrates!

Attachments

• 1459277955507.jpg
    1459277955507.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 125
Well, here's the nitrites, and even a few nitrates!

I'm not familiar with interpreting test strips. What are the tests and interpreted results (from top to bottom)?

Fresh2o, this is the Tetra 6-In-One strip. They've been consistent for me, but I also use a stop watch and follow the directions to a T. That being said, I've ordered the API Master Test Kit and will use that once I run out of strips.

Top to bottom:

Nitrate ~10ppm
Nitrite 3ppm
GH 75ppm
Chlorine 0ppm
Alkalinity 80ppm
pH 7.2

Got it.
The nitrite to nitrate conversion is usually the phase that takes the longest to complete.

I've never had nitrite or nitrate readings before. And they both appeared on the same day. I would have assumed the nitrite readings would have showed up first, and a while ago, since my ammonia has been slowly decreasing ever since I started the cycle. But I'll take what I can get. I tested it twice to make sure it wasn't a false reading and my water hadn't been touched since Sunday when I did the test.

You would have thought that would have been the case (nitrites then nitrates appearing in that order). Or why did it take so long for the nitrites to show up in the first place. As for the nitrates appearing, perhaps the conversion to nitrate has already begun.

Yeah, it's quite possible the nitrite>nitrate conversion has been happening for a while, but I've just not been able to catch it in the act. It also might not have been happening on a very large scale, so the nitrates were being diluted enough to not be picked up on the test. Whatever the reason, I'm excited to have both of them in the tank! I just hope it wasn't a fluke of some sort.

Sooooooo I figured out why I've been waiting so long for nitrites/nitrates....

I just got in my API Master Test Kit. YAY! I tried it out and the ammonium read 0ppm. Time to add ammonium. I added 2 drops, waited 20 minutes and tested again. 0.25ppm.....

In my calculation of how much ACE Hardware Janitorial Strength Ammonium to add to my 6.2 gal aquarium to equal 4ppm ammonia in the tank, I forgot to factor in the fact that the ACE ammonium is a 10% solution. So for the past three weeks, I've only been adding 0.4ppm ammonia to my tank every other day... :banghead:

I've been adding 2 drops of ammonium every other day, since my calculation gave me 1.87 drops, when I should have been adding 18.77, or 19 drops of ammonium. Of course I wasn't picking this up at all with the Tetra test strips, which were telling me I had 5ppm of ammonia after adding 2 drops.

As a side note, I'm also pretty sure the above nitrite/nitrate test strip was the result of some top-off water I didn't add enough Prime to. That being said, after testing with the API kit, there's now 5+ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrate and, rectifying my mistake, an ACTUAL 4ppm of ammonia in my tank.

Where ever the nitrite/nitrate came from, I'm glad it's there. But if it came from the top-off water, it also might mean chlorine is in my aquarium now too. The Tetra strips didn't pick up a single ppm of chlorine in my tap water and I know my tap has a decent amount of chlorine in it. Now that I don't trust the strips for anything more than stir sticks, I might pick up a pool chlorine liquid test tomorrow just to make sure.

I'm thinking about ordering a live sponge filter from Angels Plus to speed things up...

...and only using reagent liquid tests from now on...

Glad you figured that out.
I would go ahead and test ammonia/nitrite/nitrate on the tap water just to rule that out as a source of those. If you've been using Prime for top offs, then chlorine should not be a concern. If the tap is negative for all three, then than means that the ammonia that has already been added has been converted to nitrites and the conversion to nitrates has started but not quite complete.

Yeah I'll do a test of the tap water here soon. My BB is stronger than I thought it would be. 24 hours after adding the 4ppm of ammonia and readings are as follows:

Ammonia down to 2ppm
Nitrite between 2-5ppm (really hard to tell between the two colors)
Nitrate doubled to 10ppm

My pH is at 8 according to the test. I've heard it's better to let the fish you get adjust to the natural pH of your tap rather than adjust it. So... I shouldn't go out and get a balancing chemical to bring it down closer to 7, should I?

I would not alter the pH. The fish can adjust to the source water.
Also, I believe that through natural processes (nitrification), the pH may actually shift (to become more acidic) over time.

I found out ammonia is basic and raises the pH. So the pH of 8 will go down when I am done cycling. Got 4ppm of ammo disappearing in 24h. Just waiting on nitrates to really show up.

Added 4ppm ammonia yesterday afternoon. I think I finally got the tank cycled!

Attachments

• 1460495841445.jpg
    1460495841445.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom