New CL find!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zammrb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I'd like to start off with an introduction, my names Sam and I'm new to the forum. I've been spending the past few days reading the forum and just soaking up the info. I currently have two tanks a small 10g on my bedside table with just a few assorted small fish and 45g cichlid tank. Over the holiday I spent time browsing around Craigslist and found quite the score! A 65g tank and stand with tons of extras including under gravel filter and an aqua clear filter, co2 canister, ect....I have spent the better half of this after noon cleaning the tank with diluted vinegar and getting it nice and clear. I thought I'd start this thread to help share my expirence and ask for help along the way. Hope you guys enjoy! This leads me to my first question, is there a good way to sanitize used substrate?

:welcome: to the forum, sam!

Nice score! CL is a great way to get cheap aquarium stuff. What I would do is put the substrate in something like a big bucket with water and rinse rinse rinse. get all the dirt and grime out of there.

Here is the start of it cycling, I need new bulbs and a heater!

image-677450006.jpg

Looks nice! Oddly shaped tanks like Hex tanks can be a bit more difficult to stock due to the smaller horizontal swim space. What size HOB did it come with? I'm not too familiar with UG filters but I've heard they have pros and cons. A canister might be a better fit for a tank of that size but perhaps the UG and HOB would do....maybe those experienced with UG filters will chime in.

Is this an upgrade to your current tank or a new tank? What fish are you planning on getting?

Thanks for your response, I agree because of the shape. I was thinking about doing a small stock of angel fish. The filter is rated for up to 70g and there is an under gravel filter which I need a stronger air pump for. I think a canister would be a good option but maybe not needed for the stocking level for this weird shape? I'm open to ideas for what I'm going to stock into the tank. I have time since I just started the cycle yesterday!

Back
Top Bottom