New fish, when can I add more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I added 3 GBRs yesterday (one didn't make it, but I'm getting another one Monday). Would I be able to add a school of neons today, or will my biofilter have issues?

40 breeder, it's been cycled for 3 weeks, I just put the rams in yesterday. I was dosing 3-4ppm a day, and right before they came I did 2 100% water changes.

I'm not worried about being overstocked, I'm worried about my biofilter adjusting. I dont want to put it in a mini cycle.

FishN00b83 said:
40 breeder, it's been cycled for 3 weeks, I just put the rams in yesterday. I was dosing 3-4ppm a day, and right before they came I did 2 100% water changes.

Did you have any other fish in the tank after it cycled or did it sit for 3 weeks with no ammonia source?

Deckape said:
Did you have any other fish in the tank after it cycled or did it sit for 3 weeks with no ammonia source?

I was dosing it daily until yesterday. Then I did 2 100% water changes to get everything out, and let the tank filter for two hours before I started drip acclimating the rams.

FishN00b83 said:
I was dosing it daily until yesterday. Then I did 2 100% water changes to get everything out, and let the tank filter for two hours before I started drip acclimating the rams.

Cool, just checking. Good luck and hope you the best.

FishN00b83 said:
Thanks! Do you think I can add the neons today or should I wait a week?

Since you have done a fishless cycle you defiantly have a massive biofilter. Neons are little fellas. I don't know the compatibility with GBRs but yea if its compatible , rock on...

Deckape said:
Since you have done a fishless cycle you defiantly have a massive biofilter. Neons are little fellas. I don't know the compatibility with GBRs but yea if its compatible , rock on...

Nice, I'll see what the LFS has.

redsea said:
From what I hear they are compatible :)! How many were you thinking of getting?

I was thinking 10. I'm also going to call that fish store you found online last night to see if they're open. If not I'll go to the one that's a few blocks away. It's not the best place, but the tanks seem some what decent.

I called that store redsea, they are closed, I guess it's back to the old crappy store down the block lol.

I am a little worried at this point to add any other fish. I am watching one of the GBRs and he is flashing on the driftwood every once and a while, I hope an Ich outbreak isnt coming soon. I am going to wait and see what happens with this before I add anymore fish. Also one of them (the other male) has his fins clamped still, so I need to watch him as well.

Could you please explain to me how you did 2 100% water changes? Does that mean you took ALL the water out and replaced it, twice? Wouldn't that start a cycle all over?

Ausfish said:
Could you please explain to me how you did 2 100% water changes? Does that mean you took ALL the water out and replaced it, twice? Wouldn't that start a cycle all over?

The beneficial bacteria is established in the filter media and the bio-film, there is virtually none in the actual water column, so pwc's do no harm. At the end of a fishless cycle the no3 is through the roof, so doing massive water changes is needed to get them down below 20.

If you're doing a 100% water change it should be done quickly though because you don't want the walls , substrate, deco, etc...to dry out. Even though the majority of BB is in the filter media, there's still some on all the surfaces of your tank...so dry bacteria = dead bacteria.

Did you check your nitrates and nitrites before WC? If nitrites aren't going to zero, then you may NOT be cycled. My ammonia has been going to zero for well over a week, but I'm still not there.

Vol4Ever said:
Did you check your nitrates and nitrites before WC? If nitrites aren't going to zero, then you may NOT be cycled. My ammonia has been going to zero for well over a week, but I'm still not there.

I've been cycled for over 3 weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom