new guy needs some advice/help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
C

chevymanrob

ok, i have just a plain ole 38, with a whisper 30-60 and a bubble wand. ho-hum run of the mill stuff. had 4 goldfish (thanks to my daughter!), 5 or 6 tiger barbs, some flame eyes, and some plateus (sp?). anyhow, all was well. then i get the bright idea that i wanted to expand the population, so i go to the local reputable store and got some more tigers, some green barbs, and a pair of red somethings...g/f just had to have them!
heres where it all went south....let me first say that i haven't lost a fish in YEARS....anyhow...within a few days, i learned what "ich" or "ick" is all about!!! needless to say, all i have left is 3 of the golds, and 5 flame eyes....everything else is gone. like aids on speed. this stuff is nasty!
so heres the main point i need help on...waiting for the tank to settle down now. will do a 10 gallon as a temp...tear down the 38 and strip it, new rocks, and then try to reset it all.
what do i need to do to avoid this in the future? i thought that this very popular store was a safe bet...also what types of fish are hearty and get along with the g/f and flame eyes?
thanks for all the great info here!
rob

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it? You may have just over populated it. You never want to introduce that many fish at once. The goldies should have a tank to themselves. They can pose as a disease risk to tropical fish. Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Let us know the results.

The ten gallon temp may not do any good except as a hospital/quarantine tank. I wouldn't suggest transferring the remaining fish except perhaps the goldfish. You may not need to tear down the tank depending on the water test results.

FYI, tiger barbs should reside in a larger tank. They get 3" and need a tight nit school of five or more individuals to stay secure and not attack other fish.

goldfish are a coldwater species and can be kept with other pond/coldwater fishes. other than that i have never had any epidemics in my tanks, but when i suspected anything i put some ich attack stuff in there (smelled like pickles).

Chevymanrob. Welcome to AA! :wink:

First off, TCT is right. I think you added way too many fish, way too fast. This is likely where the ich came from.

you want to only add a few fish at a time, and make sure your tank is cycled. If you click on the articles button, at the top of this page, you wil find an article on the Nitrogen Cycle. Read up on that, and learn about it. This is important in setting up your new tank, minus all the complications that can happen when you try and rush things.

The three goldies you have left, and your 5 flame eyes, will be plenty for your tank. The goldies will get much larger, and with the addition of a few cories on the bottom, and an algae eater, you will be maxxed out on fish, IMO.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom