New here with some questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello folks, I just want to say that Ive been a member for about a week, but have enjoyed reading posts on here since the beginning!. Heres my question(s). I have a 55 gallon set up (freshwater) with: 1 medium sized pleco, 1 rams horn snail, 1 blue gourami, 1 orange gourami, 3 tiger barbs, 1 ringed loach, and a silver dollar fish. My water tests are all perfect (believe it or not!) Ok, our last loach died with no reason. But before he (or she i guess!) :lol: died, they were not very active, didnt seem to be eating, etc... No visible marks at all - just belly up the next morning. What gives? Also, I saw a patch of snail eggs the other day, now they are gone. now i am noticing these little teeenny weeny. almost barely visible to the eye "worms" on the aquarium walls. They move very slowly, I just want to make sure this is the baby snails. There arent many at all, i mean maybe like 10... They are white and soo small I cant believe I noticed them. My other fish are very healthy and active abut I was scared that this could be a "parasite" but then again, where would the snails eggs went? It has to be them right? What do baby snails look like, right after they hatch? Please write back, I am verry worried. Also, I have added aquarium salt (about 7 teaspoons) gradually since I started the tank (about 1 month ago).
Thanks !!
-Chris

schild27.gif
to AA.com

I'm not sure on the "worms/snails" IME, baby snails look like big snails, just smaller. I would suspect they were actually some type of worm. They may or may not be parasitic/harmful. They may be totally beneign, not much help, I know, maybe some of the more seasoned freshies can help when they get a look at this (y) IMO, though, unless you see them becoming a problem, I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point.

Kind of off topic, but isnt it really cool that he said he had been a member for a week thats his first post. That really tells you how much this site has grown since I was here i dont know how long ago. Congratz Aaron.

On topic, i agree with kevin, baby snails look like adult snails, just small.

Ok, one more question. Just in case i ever have a problem, i bought a bottle of medicine that covers most bacterial/fungal/parasitic problems. The bottle said I could add some as a preventative measure, but I dont like adding un-necessary chemicals. What do you think? I read a lot about "ick" and it says that some kind of cysts fall of an infected fish and go to the bottom of the tank and hatch into parasites. Could this be what im seeing?? I did flush a fish last week that I had just bought and looked like it had ick (had white spots all over and a clamped fin)... But i flushed it like 2 days after i bought it. I was hoping that if it did have anything, the salt that i had added previously and 80 degree temp would keep it from going all crazy. So should I add some of this stuff? should i worry about these little worms on my glass? could it be ick?? please respond
thanks,
chris

d9hp said:
Kind of off topic, but isnt it really cool that he said he had been a member for a week thats his first post. That really tells you how much this site has grown since I was here i dont know how long ago. Congratz Aaron.

On topic, i agree with kevin, baby snails look like adult snails, just small.

Thanks for the prase but I wont let you give me full credit. Kevin is co-founder so he deserves as much as I the credit. But I would say its the members that make the site. We just bild a site and you the members are what makes the site what it is.

Whats the name on the meds? Some meds are antibacteraial and they can have a negitive effect on your biofilter since they dont just kill undesirable bactera but also the desirable bactera.

Also, I have added aquarium salt (about 7 teaspoons) gradually since I started the tank (about 1 month ago).
Hi Chris,
Welcome, I did notice you put in your post what I Put in Quote.

Salt is very hard on Scaleless fish however your loach Is a scaleless fish this may have caused it.
Plecos are also Scaleless aswell.
Hope that helps
Chris.

Back
Top Bottom