New Member...New Aquarium...Please Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

srpugh88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone.

I need some help. I am currently cycling my new fish tank (54 litres). I started the fishless cycle 5 days ago. I have added sand, a few pebbles, a boat and a piece of driftwood (not sure if these are causing the problems). I have added some treatments to clear chlorine and add 'friendly' bacteria. The day after I added these treatments a thin white film covered the glass, and a small part of the driftwood. Really unsure what to do next.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? I didn't want to wipe it away just incase it is beneficial bacteria. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

What kind of wood? What "treatments" precisely? It sounds like you are fishless cycling. Are you certain your ammonia is pure (no surfactants, etc.)? What are your levels?

I'm not sure what wood it is, but it does look very similar to mopani wood. I am using AquaCare Water Conditioner and also AquaCare Biological Supplement. I haven't used pure ammonia but instead have added small amounts of fish food daily as I read on here that it can add ammonia?? Not sure if it is actually works. I am planning on taking a water sample to get tested tomorrow.
Do you think I should just wipe away the white stuff? Or do you think it could be the bacteria?

Ah. The fish food is most likely causing the white stuff. Pure ammonia is the best way to cycle because you can precisely dose it and it doesn't produce as much algae or fungus.

I wiped the white stuff of my mopani wood and in two days it was back and better than ever. It hasn't gone away. For you since you just started the cycle you should be OK wiping it off, but for a tank further along it isn't recommended because it could contain bacteria.

It's normal for new wood to develop a white cottony film. I'm going through it now with mine. It's unsightly but not harmful; wipe it off or leave it, it's up to you. It'll go away in time. Not sure about the stuff on the glass though; could be something similar. Cycling with fish food can be fairly messy as the food decomposes and it isn't very accurate in terms of keeping ammonia levels as high as you'd like them to be for the cycle. If you ca get some pure ammonia that would be a better route. Or at least put the fish food in a mesh bag or clean nylon stocking so it doesn't mess up the whole tank.

It's normal for new wood to develop a white cottony film. I'm going through it now with mine. It's unsightly but not harmful; wipe it off or leave it, it's up to you. It'll go away in time. Not sure about the stuff on the glass though; could be something similar. Cycling with fish food can be fairly messy as the food decomposes and it isn't very accurate in terms of keeping ammonia levels as high as you'd like them to be for the cycle. If you ca get some pure ammonia that would be a better route. Or at least put the fish food in a mesh bag or clean nylon stocking so it doesn't mess up the whole tank.

That's comforting to me, too. That film on my mopani wood has been getting worse.

That's comforting to me, too. That film on my mopani wood has been getting worse.

Yeah it's pretty gross lol You should see my new manzanita branch; ugh, the stuff is hanging off the wood there's so much of it, it's disgusting LOL Other wood I"ve had has done it too but not to this extent. I guess it depends on the type of wood. It can take a bit to go away, but it will eventually (that's what's saving me from tossing the tank out the window ;))

Back
Top Bottom