New member with a blank slate =)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kincainn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all! New guy on the block. I've got an established 29 high, and a cycled but empty 10g. DaWife and I just snagged a 55 off of CL, nice older setup with a stand, lights, glass tops and a Whisper 30-60. I just stripped the whisper and descaled it, still have to clean the 55 up and out.
The previous owner had the tank in storage for years, and it was put away with a red/white gravel bed. Obviously I'm not going to reuse it, since I can't say how long it was dry or what was in it before. I was looking for some suggestions on a good substrate, and potential stocking. Our 29 is mostly tetras with an angel for a centerpiece (for now). My wife wants something colorful, but we aren't sure if we want something as active as cichlids or something more sedate. I don't have a lot of experience with planted tanks, although I'm experimenting with my 10g, using a sand substrate and a few swords and a fern.
I said all that (whew) to say all this: I'd love to hear some views and opinions from you guys on a few possible paths to take with this tank. Thanks for suffering through my long-winded-ness :oops:

Hi Kincainn! Welcome to AA! :)
My only personal fish experience is with goldfish, but I once saw a really nice 29 gallon with zebra danios, platies, neon tetras and scissor-tail rasboras. You could also do a tank of various tiger barb types. I think they're really pretty, though you'd have to ensure you had enough of each type to counter aggression. If you want to go a different route from fish, I've heard all kinds of fun things about African Dwarf Frogs and how amusing they are to watch.
Last thought and, again, it's not from personal experience, just something I saw once and really liked. An all female betta sorority, with I believe it was 13 bettas, though I could be wrong. It was GORGEOUS. If that interests you, maybe you can consult with a betta expert here at AA and see if it's a feasible idea or if that tank was just a lucky fluke. The inhabitants were all happy though, and all that color and all those beautifully flowy fins ...:fish2:

Thanks! I might just moved the 29s occupants into the 55 and try the Berta sorority. My wife would love that.
My biggest issue right now is deciding on what to do with the 55 as far as substrate and theme/stocking. If I move the 55s tetras that's part of it, but how to round it out...

Got a filtration question too...

Got a question regarding the filtration on my upcoming 55. Like I'd stated before, I have a Whisper 30-60 for it. I'm wanting to add another HOB so I get better flow around the tank and for backup filtering. Would I be better off with a Penguin/Emperor with a biowheel or a Fluval 4c? I've heard good things about both but not sure which would be a better choice for this tank...

Back
Top Bottom