New puffer tank:-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He probably won't get your Apple snail.. although I've heard of the large Turbo snails lasting only days with GSPs. I haven't tried any with mine for that reason- I'm afraid I'd get attached to what would be an snack for them. Looking forward to seeing the tank finished

Haha!! Yeah he is just a baby. Barely an inch!! My apple snail is prob the size of a golf ball!! He has high hopes apperently!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I'd go with a brackish setup once you convert it over. The beforehand mentioned Bumblebee gobies would be a nice stocking option. My uncle had a brackish setup about 10-12 years ago when I wasn't into fishkeeping, but I remember that it was quite unique, especially with the puffer!

Are there any little maintence animals like a snail that Leroi won't eat or something that could go in there with him and maybe a bumblebee goby or two?

Bumblebee gobies are usually fine with Figure 8s, there are a few brackish snails, but I don't know how they do against the puffers.

Wellllll I'm not sure I'm going to be able to put anything in with him. I was hoping for a few bumblebee's but he this everything is food....we will see though...I just love him though! He has such a big personality for a little fish!! He will swim through your fingers if you put them in to clean or rearrange things:)

Any tank mate is always gonna be a hit or miss with puffers. They also become more aggressive with age so all could be peaceful for a year or two, then a massacre.
Mine are little monsters, all of my puffers.

Lol!! Yep I think mine is gonna be a little terrorist as well....I am not even gonna try...

It's a 10g for now. He will go into a 20g eventually:)

Yes as this is not my first rodeo with fish, just puffers, I know that I could put a maybe a bumblebee or two for now. As noted in a previous post this tank will get upgraded to a 20g within the year. When I stock a tank I generally stock on the low side of inhabitants. As not to overcrowd them. There are a few fish in my 20g that are upwards of seven years old...

Make sure you buy marine salt that is intended for saltwater. Also buy a refractometer in order to precisely measure the salinity. Large jumps in salinity level can destroy your beneficial bacteria. When you do your water changes, it's best to premix your brackish water.

There is a F8 profile in aquarium advice that you could read for comprehensive details.

Thanks so much!! I went ahead and researched all of that and purchased it before I ever set his tank up:) I usually mix the water in the am and let it sit for a while. Then test it to make sure it's good before I do a water change. I believe it's easier that way:)

Back
Top Bottom