New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, everybody. It's been a while since I've posted. I got out of the groove without having a place to have a tank set up.

But, we're in a house now and just set up our first 10 gallon tropical tank. The cycle just finished the other day, so it's now stocked with four rummy nose tetras and a fire gourami.

I don't really feel like I have the time to keep up with a planted tank so for the time being, we're just using silk plants. I think the tank looks ok, but that's really all. It could use some more... something, to dress it up a bit, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• fts01.jpg
    fts01.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 42
  • fts02.jpg
    fts02.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 45
I think a piece of driftwood would look pretty nice, but I've heard they can be a pain to prepare for adding to a tank.

The background is also a good idea. Would you go with a solid color (do you use construction paper or what?) or something more fancy?

Lighting is what really makes a tank, in my opinion.

My 20 has a small light in a box that sits on top of the glass cover. The 40 and 100 have a light in a box type fixture that hangs over the tanks. At night with all lights off the (except the tank lights) all tanks look great.

I'm not exactly sure how I forgot a hood and a light, but that's a pretty solid idea.

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. I think I'll get some more silk plants and definitely a light, but I'm not sure on the background still.

You have lots of choices in background. Depending on your tastes, it can be solid color, some natural aquarium scene (say FW plants), or you can go whimsical & create you underwater wonderland.

With a school of small fish, I would personally go with a dark solid background. That & a light (bulb) colored towards the blue end <ie blue white, high K ratings, as opposed to reddish/yellowish light> would bring out the fish. I think small fish would get lost in a busy background. <OTOH, you could focus on some whimsical setup & emphasize that as the focal point ... with the fish being secondary .... Experiment & see what you like, this is the fun part!>

Last edited:
I think a piece of driftwood would look pretty nice, but I've heard they can be a pain to prepare for adding to a tank.

Driftwood don't have to be difficult, if you get the dense self-sinking ones from the lfs ... or the fake ones!

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestions. If I get around to that this weekend, I'll post new pics on Monday.

But, another question: Is it true that higher K ratings on bulbs result in more algae growth?

As far as I know, algae is more from nutrient imbalance.... but excess light can propel it if situations are correct.

Back
Top Bottom