New Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aar0nsky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I already bought fish just like many people who dont do research and they are in my tank. I didnt know to cycle(bad excuse I know) but I ended up just dumping a bunch of fish in.
It is a 10 gallon tank.

Yesterday I went to my LFS and I got some stones from an already established tank and I also got some Tetra Safe Start and put them both in.

My question is, how long after I put this stuff in should I take a reading and also do I need to do a PWC every time my ammonia or nitrites get at or above .25 ppm??

Is it ok to let any of the numbers get high during this fish-in cycle or no since it will harm the fish?

PS - I have 3 tiger barbs(small), 1 angelfish(small), and I did have 3 mollies(small) but one died and I found him stuck to the filter intake. (Weird thing about it is that he was on the filter intake the day before and I touched him with something and he swam away like he was just taking a nap so I didnt think anything of it)

Hey,

You will have to do a large water change everytime ammonia/nitrite reads over 0.25. What test kit are you using?

You probably have too many fish in there for a fish in cycle in my opinion. You are running the risk of very high ammonia in a small tank.

Also when adding fish to a tank you really should acclimatise them to the water. Do you know how to do this?

Finally: welcome to the hobby!

So, I already bought fish just like many people who dont do research and they are in my tank. I didnt know to cycle(bad excuse I know) but I ended up just dumping a bunch of fish in.
It is a 10 gallon tank.

Yesterday I went to my LFS and I got some stones from an already established tank and I also got some Tetra Safe Start and put them both in.

My question is, how long after I put this stuff in should I take a reading and also do I need to do a PWC every time my ammonia or nitrites get at or above .25 ppm??

Is it ok to let any of the numbers get high during this fish-in cycle or no since it will harm the fish?

PS - I have 3 tiger barbs(small), 1 angelfish(small), and I did have 3 mollies(small) but one died and I found him stuck to the filter intake. (Weird thing about it is that he was on the filter intake the day before and I touched him with something and he swam away like he was just taking a nap so I didnt think anything of it)

Hi there!
1. Look up fish-in cycling. I never know how to get the link so I'm no help there! :) but your own research helps too.
2. What test kit are you using? You need to do a 50% water change every time the reading gets above 0.25ppm.
3. No. It will cause the fish much pain and will either kill them or leave them internally injured.
4. None of your current fish are suitable for this tank, or even a tank double/ triple it's size. Is there any chance you can rehome every single one of those fish? If not then it's a must to rehome the angel because they get BIG and will be stunted in the near future. The mollies should be the second priority to get rid of. They once again reach 4" plus and have huge bioloads. You might have to do 40% water changes every other day until you can rehome the fish suggested, or even better, all of them :) good luck

Hi there!
1. Look up fish-in cycling. I never know how to get the link so I'm no help there! :) but your own research helps too.
2. What test kit are you using? You need to do a 50% water change every time the reading gets above 0.25ppm.
3. No. It will cause the fish much pain and will either kill them or leave them internally injured.
4. None of your current fish are suitable for this tank, or even a tank double/ triple it's size. Is there any chance you can rehome every single one of those fish? If not then it's a must to rehome the angel because they get BIG and will be stunted in the near future. The mollies should be the second priority to get rid of. They once again reach 4" plus and have huge bioloads. You might have to do 40% water changes every other day until you can rehome the fish suggested, or even better, all of them :) good luck

I was hoping I could fish in cycle this tank and atleast have it somewhat livable until I could get my hands on a bigger tank. So what fish do you put in a 10 gallon?

Hey,

You will have to do a large water change everytime ammonia/nitrite reads over 0.25. What test kit are you using?

You probably have too many fish in there for a fish in cycle in my opinion. You are running the risk of very high ammonia in a small tank.

Also when adding fish to a tank you really should acclimatise them to the water. Do you know how to do this?

Finally: welcome to the hobby!

I am using the API Master kit.
I acclimated them by just floating the bag. I know it wasnt the best way now that I know the proper way.

I was hoping I could fish in cycle this tank and atleast have it somewhat livable until I could get my hands on a bigger tank. So what fish do you put in a 10 gallon?

Male guppies, neon and flame tetras, Dwarf grouamis, chili rasboras, galaxy danios. An angel can grow over a foot fin tip to tip an can its body can get as around as a grown mans palm. Tigers will kill it by stressing it do death

Male guppies, neon and flame tetras, Dwarf grouamis, chili rasboras, galaxy danios. An angel can grow over a foot fin tip to tip an can its body can get as around as a grown mans palm. Tigers will kill it by stressing it do death

Thanks I am separating the angel tomorrow. I will have a semi aggressive tank and a community tank. Both only 10 gallon tanks but my 55 is on the way.

Thanks I am separating the angel tomorrow. I will have a semi aggressive tank and a community tank. Both only 10 gallon tanks but my 55 is on the way.

When you get the 55, leave the tigers out an in the 10 for now. An move the angel an Molly's to the 55, u could have a nice community with that

Make water changes a serious habit, or get used to counting dead fish. So what do you know about cycling a tank? Not trying to ne a jerk, just trying to get an idea of the peril you have put your fisn in. As a minimum, you need a water test kit, a thermometer, an air stone, a heater and a way to treat your water (AmQuel, Prime, safe Start etc) to eliminate Chloramines, Chlorine, Ammonia and heavy metals. Your evemies at this point are Ammonia, Nitrites, poor O2 quality and disease. You can combat disease with very frequent water changes, only using carbon in your filters for 3-4 weeks before discarding and replacing with fresh carbon, and NOT OVERFEEDING. If your tank water smells bad...it is bad. Learn from this site. Once you get your 55, don't add any new fish, and understand that wou will go through the cycling process all over again. Avoid the use of a lot of chemicals to maintain your wayer quality. The best thing you can do for your budget and your fish is frequent water changes and not overfeeding.
Good luck!
D

Back
Top Bottom