New tank - fishless cycle but cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HabsFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a 40 gallon breeder on Sunday, added the substrate and decorations (all thoroughly rinsed). On Monday, I filled the tank (well water) and added 4 cupfuls of Seachem stability along with setting up the filter and added a pinch of food. Tuesday, I added the heater and set it to 80 along with another pinch of food. I tested ammonia which read .25 and the pH which was 7.6. Everything seemed nice and clear and running well. Got home from work today and it is quite cloudy. Tested ammonia again along with nitrite and nitrate and all are reading 0.

I've read about cycling with fish food or ammonia and think maybe I need to go the ammonia route? Will that help with the cloudy water?

The cloudy water is from a bacterial bloom. Its part of the cycle and will go away. Don't worry about the tank. Being pretty and clean right now. Just let the tank do its thing.

The cloudy water is from a bacterial bloom. Its part of the cycle and will go away. Don't worry about the tank. Being pretty and clean right now. Just let the tank do its thing.

Okay thank you for the reply. I'll let the tank run its course. Should I add ammonia or more fish food or just leave it as it for now?

You need to keep adding ammonia to the tank to keep growing the beneficial bacteria. Using food or ammonia is up to you. Which ever is easist for you.

Keep your ammonia between 2-4 ppm when doing a fish less cycle. BB feeds off ammonia.

Keep your ammonia between 2-4 ppm when doing a fish less cycle. BB feeds off ammonia.

Ok thank you. I just tested it and ammonia is still low at .25 but it is only day 3. I might get some ammonia this weekend and try that instead of the fish food and see if that elevates the ammonia levels a bit more if it doesn't start to increase with the food.

Back
Top Bottom